Will doing an Engineering degree cut me off from the physics world?

In summary, the conversation is about the decision of pursuing a degree in engineering or physics. The person is leaning towards engineering for financial reasons but is also interested in physics for their love of discovering new things about the world through mathematics and logical conclusions. There is a concern that engineering may not offer the same level of theoretical knowledge and problem-solving skills as physics. However, it is possible to combine both fields and pursue a postgraduate degree in physics after completing an engineering degree. There is also a mention of engineering physics as a possible option for those interested in both fields.
rabbitweed
I am doing the second half of my first year of university (I'm in the southern hemisphere). I"ve tried to keep my options open, taking the required papers for several fields of engineering, as well as physics, chemistry and maths...

I am leaning very strongly towards Engineering for the obvious reason; money. But to be perfectly honest, if that wasn't an issue, I would go physics.

Why? I love discovering new things about the world we live in. I like seeing the world in the language of maths. I like finding all those hidden connections, and logical conclusions I get from studying the physical sciences.

If I go into Engineering, am I cutting myself of from all this? From what lecturers and tutorers have alluded to we don't learn much novel maths or physics concepts at all, just build on the theories we learn in first year. This saddens me a lot.

I would like to be able to follow physics journals and the like, understand if not master the maths behind new theories and the like, not just be a glorified technician.

Thoughts, comments etc would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid not. Engineers often learn an amount of math that is comparable to the minimum amount a physics major must know but they learn it in an entirely results driven, not to be extended sort of way. I.e. they never prove ANYTHING, they make no attempt to develop mathematical intuition and they make no attempt to foster mathematical problem solving ability. It's more: "the gradient of a vector function is this, deal with it, no one cares what it means but if you plug it into this equation you find this value which is useful to us". However, the good news is that depending on the discipline of engineering you study, if you take a few phys/amath courses on the side you could possibly do a masters in phys.

Doing an engineering degree will not cut you off from the physics world. Doing *only* an engineering degree will. You will need a *lot* of extra math and physics if you want to follow what is going on in the physics journals.

Engineering is basically applied physics and chemistry. Like maverick said, when it comes to math you don't learn where it comes from you just learn how to use it. As far as discovering the nature of how things work, there is still plenty of that in engineering. Once you get to the PhD level you will find for many cases that the only difference between physics and engineering research is the department you do it in.

I don't know where you guys did engineering, but that is not my experience of engineering at all...

We do exactly the same maths and physics as the pure maths and physics guys, so I would just have to take an extra final year course in physics to get a pure physics degree...

So engineering does not cut you off for the physics world at all, I know of a few guys who did a degree in engineering and then did a post grad degree in pure physics... I'm also from the southern hemisphere.

RaStevey said:
We do exactly the same maths and physics as the pure maths and physics guys, so I would just have to take an extra final year course in physics to get a pure physics degree...

Typically the upper division physics sequence is a year of QM, a semester each of E&M, Stat Mech and Classical mechanics, and a year of advanced lab. (Plus electives, of course) While this probably could be done in a year, it would be a very, very full year.

Vanadium 50 said:
Typically the upper division physics sequence is a year of QM, a semester each of E&M, Stat Mech and Classical mechanics, and a year of advanced lab. (Plus electives, of course) While this probably could be done in a year, it would be a very, very full year.

I think that would be a pretty standard 3rd year for a lot of people. Very doable. Something like:

Term 1:
-E&M 1
-Classical 1
-Calculus 3
-Thermodynamics
-Quantum 1

Term 2:
-E&M 2
-Classical 2
-Mathematical Physics 1
-Statistical Mechanics
-Quantum 2

If you're taking E&M concurrently with Calc 3, it's not the E&M I am thinking of. I'm thinking about E&M at the level of Lorraine and Corson. Likewise, it's not the classical mechanics I am thinking of: one where one begins with the Euler-Lagrange equations. Also, I see you excluded the advanced lab, which will eat up a lot of time, at least if it's taught properly.

I must agree with maverick that that would not be so tough and i guess it differs from country to country and university to university, but we had E&M, stat mech, classical mechanics as part of our engineering degree, so it would just be QM and advanced lab, plus one or two other courses which is really not that tough if you're used to an engineering course where 6+ subjects plus their practical labs are standard per semester.

Perhaps you may want to look into engineering physics. Basically the class structure would be something like:

An engineering core:
Calc I-III and Diff. Eq.
Some chemistry
Probably some electronics
Thermodynamics
As wells as statics and dynamics (Probably with an emphasis on design/materials)

An "physics core"
Newtonian mechanics
Intro E&M
Intro to modern physics (maybe)
Mathematical methods in physics (maybe, although you'll be expected to know the math regardless the farther you go)
Classical mechanics (Lagrangian/hamiltonian formulation)
Statistical mechanics/Thermodynamics
Quantum Mechanics
E&M
In addition you'll probably need at least two undergraduate labs (Hopefully more)

Now if you compare these the physics there are quite a few that share some common ground:

Newtonian/Lagrangian Mechanics would easily go with statics and dynamics in much greater detail for the most part.

Statistical mechanics will delve into thermodynamics extensible and in greater detail.

You'll work with circuits and additional instrumentation as part of you're typical first few physics labs with a greater detail.

While what you will learn in QM and some additional classes goes much deeper into a lot of the principles you'll discuss in your intro chemistry classes.

Engineering physics basically crams all of the core classes in engineering and physics together in a way which makes sense. Also you'll probably be additional labs which are focused on experimental techniques, etc.

Feldoh said:
Perhaps you may want to look into engineering physics.

I would love to do such a subject, but there is no Engineering physics degree where I live (New Zealand).

My choices right now are Chemical or Electrical. Both seem to have some pretty physics involving stuff postgrad.

1. Will I still be able to learn and understand physics concepts while studying engineering?

Yes, an engineering degree will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, which are essential for understanding complex physics concepts. In fact, many engineering courses cover topics that are closely related to physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Will an engineering degree limit my career options in the field of physics?

No, an engineering degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in the field of physics. Many engineering graduates go on to work in research and development in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, and telecommunications, where a strong understanding of physics is essential.

3. Can I pursue a career in physics after completing an engineering degree?

Absolutely! Many engineers go on to work in physics-related fields, such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, and materials science. Your engineering degree will provide you with a solid foundation in problem-solving, data analysis, and critical thinking, which are all valuable skills in the field of physics.

4. Will I have to choose between engineering and physics as my major?

It depends on the specific program and university you choose. Some universities offer joint programs where you can major in both engineering and physics, while others may require you to choose one as your primary major. However, even if you have to choose one as your major, you can still take courses in the other field as electives.

5. Is it possible to transition from an engineering career to a physics career later on?

Yes, it is possible to transition from an engineering career to a physics career. Your engineering degree will provide you with transferable skills that are highly valued in the field of physics, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. You may need to supplement your knowledge with additional courses or a graduate degree, but it is certainly possible to make the transition.