Exploring Study Abroad Options in Ireland for Your College Experience"

In summary: I'm sure you'll love it!In summary, Ireland would be a great place to study abroad. National University Ireland, Maynooth (West Dublin). Dublin Institute of Technology, Trinity College Dublin, or even University of Limerick would all have good math classes and physics or engineering courses.
tasman2010
Study Abroad in Ireland??

My name is Austin and I am getting ready to start my Senior year in High school, which means that i have stared preparing for college. I am trying to decide between a few different universities each having their own pros and cons. One of them offers a really great international study program and was curious if Ireland would be a good place to go to. If so which colleges in particular?
Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org

Ireland would certainly be a great place to go! I've been to conferences in Dublin, and know people who have studied at Trinity College Dublin, and get the impression it would be a superb place to spend a few years as a student. If you like golf, literature and/or beer, then it's a must. In general, it's comparable to some of the better UK cities/universities.

I studied abroad in Ireland at Mary Immaculate College in Limerick. It has nothing to do with math and physics, I went for a break from all that actually, but that aside I loved every minute of it.

There are a lot of schools you could attend over there. National University Ireland, Galway.
National University Ireland, Maynooth (West Dublin). Dublin Institute of Technology, Trinity College Dublin, or even University of Limerick

They would all have good math classes and physics or engineering

regardless I hope you do choose to go to Ireland. It will be a great trip for you, you are still close to continental Europe and the company RyanAir makes traveling really cheap over there. You would be exposed to some grrrreeeeaaattt music and I'm sure you'd have a good time. (perhaps I'm biased being Irish-American)

Try reading some of their writers as well, like James Joyce (Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist to begin with! Some of his other writings are mucho difficult... as you might expect from the writer who gave the name "quarks" to Gell-Mann.)

I've been to Ireland a few times, but never studied.

Do bear in mind the cost of living there is very high; Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in the EU.

Thank you all for the replys! i was doing some research and came across several articles that said to steer clear of Dublin if you were an American. is there any truth to this? I will definately check out the authors though =)

tasman2010 said:
Thank you all for the replys! i was doing some research and came across several articles that said to steer clear of Dublin if you were an American. is there any truth to this? I will definately check out the authors though =)

As long as you don't go running around yelling "I'M IRISH!" in a strong American accent, you should be fine.

mgiddy911 said:
(perhaps I'm biased being Irish-American)

LOL i do believe i am a bit biased as well since most of my family came from ireland, i jus didnt want to plan on studying there because of that reason. I wanted to make sure they had good programs i could take advantage of! thanks

rabbitweed said:
As long as you don't go running around yelling "I'M IRISH!" in a strong American accent, you should be fine.

LOL I could see where that would be offensive!

Hi,

Dublin can be a very expensive place to live, as has been said. But look at NUI Galway, or University College Cork. Cork is a lovely city, and well, Galways is always good craic.

If you went north of the boarder, the only place to study physics or maths is Queens University, Belfast ...I like Belfast, not as busy as Dublin. Queens have a very good engineering school too. Also, the University of Ulster run very good engineering courses.

If I had to choose, I think I would pick Galway or Cork. They are just nicer places to live, and they have very good courses.

I live in Ireland, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me or whatever, and I can try and get information for you.

Sean

feely said:
If you went north of the boarder, the only place to study physics or maths is Queens University, Belfast
It's worth pointing out that Belfast is in the UK (despite the feelings of some Americans) so you would be applying through the UK system and paying in £.

...I like Belfast,
Apart from the weather ;-)

Lovely city, great people and a cuisine to match Canada's

mgb_phys said:
It's worth pointing out that Belfast is in the UK (despite the feelings of some Americans) so you would be applying through the UK system and paying in £.

Hey, I live here, and I consider myself Irish, and living in Ireland :)

But yes, very true, you would apply through the http://www.ucas.ac.uk/" system.

The people are nice, especially in the university side of town! And yes, the food is nice! I shall be in Auntie Annies tomorrow getting some food ...yummy!

Last edited by a moderator:

lol just thinking about this gets me all excited ^_^
Belfast was definately at the top of my list as well as Cork.
the school I am wanting to go to uses the International Student Exchange Program. Idk if this answers you question...

tasman2010 said:
the school I am wanting to go to uses the International Student Exchange Program. Idk if this answers you question...

Well then, I doubt you would even have to worry about either UCAS or CAO. Anyone I know who has done this sort of thing, it has always been internal, between the two uni's etc.

1. What are the benefits of studying abroad in Ireland?

Studying abroad in Ireland offers a unique cultural experience that can broaden your perspective and improve your language skills. It also allows you to network with international students and gain a global education.

2. How do I choose a study abroad program in Ireland?

First, consider your academic goals and interests. Then, research different programs and universities in Ireland to find one that aligns with your goals. You can also consult with your college's study abroad office for guidance.

3. What expenses should I expect when studying abroad in Ireland?

The cost of studying abroad in Ireland will vary depending on the program and location. You should budget for expenses such as tuition, housing, transportation, food, and travel. It is also important to consider the exchange rate and potential visa fees.

4. How can I make the most of my study abroad experience in Ireland?

Take advantage of opportunities to immerse yourself in the local culture, such as participating in cultural activities and events. Also, make an effort to interact with locals and other international students to expand your network and gain new perspectives.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying abroad in Ireland?

Yes, there are various scholarships and grants available for students studying abroad in Ireland. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they may have specific deadlines and requirements.