Extraneous and missing solutions

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the common annoyance of extraneous or missing solutions while solving equations. The speaker mentions that they have taught themselves how to avoid losing solutions but gaining extra solutions is inevitable. They wonder if there are other ways besides substituting and checking to find and eliminate extraneous solutions. The other speaker suggests examining the original equation or set of equations for values that do not work. They also wonder if this rule applies differently in post-calculus mathematics.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
While solving equations, most would have at some point or another had to deal with the annoyance of extraneous or missing solutions.
While I have vigorously taught myself over the years how to avoid losing solutions, gaining extra solutions is still and will probably always be inevitable for me (in order to keep things simple).

I'm curious to know if extraneous solutions can be found and eliminated in a set of solutions by means other than substituting and checking in the original equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mentallic, the best way is to examine the original equation or origianal set of equations. Examine those for values which will not work or need to be excluded. Is your viewpoint that of intermediate algebra and Pre-Calculus?

I agree examining the equation would also suffice, but this is sometimes not so obvious, which would again lead to simple plug-and-check.

Yes my viewpoint is just that, but does this mean the rules don't apply so bluntly for post-calculus mathematics?

What is the concept of extraneous and missing solutions?

Extraneous and missing solutions refer to the solutions that do not satisfy the original equation or problem or the solutions that are not included in the given set of solutions.

How do you identify an extraneous solution?

An extraneous solution can be identified by substituting the solution into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. If it does not, then it is an extraneous solution.

What causes extraneous and missing solutions?

Extraneous and missing solutions can occur due to the algebraic manipulations involved in solving equations, such as squaring both sides or taking the square root of both sides. These manipulations can introduce new solutions that do not satisfy the original equation.

Can extraneous and missing solutions be avoided?

It is not always possible to avoid extraneous and missing solutions, but careful algebraic manipulation and checking solutions in the original equation before accepting them can help reduce the chances of these types of solutions.

Why are extraneous and missing solutions important to consider?

Extraneous and missing solutions can lead to incorrect solutions and can affect the accuracy of results in scientific experiments. It is important to identify and eliminate these solutions for accurate and reliable conclusions.