Fluid mechanics text that has the physics (or is it math) in it

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kundu and Cohen's book for a Fluid Mechanics course and the lack of examples and solved problems in the book. The speaker mentions looking for other books for physicists and considering Schaums Fluid mechanics and hydraulics and the '2500 solved problems' series book. They also mention using James Lighthill's 'Informal Introduction to Fluid Mechanics'.
sai2020
Hi,

I'm taking a Fluid Mechanics course. The lecturer is very closely (letter to letter) following the book by Kundu and Cohen (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123737354/?tag=pfamazon01-20).

I think K&C has a bunch of isolated derivations with no examples or solved problems. The 'examples' they do have are just a part of the text and when I get to the exercises I'm totally flabbergasted..

I was wondering if there were any other better books meant for physicists? Engineering books apparently don't even deal with tensors but are just as thick..

TIA!
Sai

Physics news on Phys.org
Now it is my turn to take fluid mechanics and we use Kundu/Cohen. Did you find any books with solved problems?

I am thinking about buying Schaums Fluid mechanics and hydraulics. The people on amazon.com gives it good reviews, but do the two books fit?

Well there was this '2500 solved problems' series book. The Schuam's outline is quite nice too. I just used them from the library. Only some questions are relevant to us. The rest are engineering stuff. Also James Lighthill's 'Informal Introduction to Fluid Mechanics' helped..

Thanks

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior when in motion or at rest. It involves the analysis of forces and energy within fluids, as well as their interactions with solid objects.

2. What is the difference between fluid mechanics and solid mechanics?

The main difference between fluid mechanics and solid mechanics is that fluid mechanics deals with the behavior of materials that can flow (liquids and gases), while solid mechanics deals with the behavior of materials that are rigid and cannot flow.

3. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, the study of ocean currents and weather patterns, the design of water and sewage systems, and the development of medical devices such as inhalers and dialysis machines.

4. Is fluid mechanics more physics or math?

Fluid mechanics is a combination of both physics and math. The underlying principles and equations are based on fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of mass and energy. However, complex mathematical models and equations are used to solve problems and analyze fluid behavior.

5. How can understanding fluid mechanics be beneficial?

Understanding fluid mechanics can be beneficial in many fields, including engineering, environmental science, and medicine. It can help in the design and optimization of various systems and processes, as well as in predicting and mitigating potential hazards, such as floods and air pollution. It also provides a deeper understanding of the natural world and how fluids play a crucial role in its functioning.