Momentum conservation in collisions.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of squared four vectors to calculate the momentum of particle A in a collision scenario. The threshold energy for producing a final state is the square of the sum of the produced masses, and this can be applied to any case. However, using pure energy conservation laws may lead to different results, as shown in the example given. The professor's equation correctly accounts for the momentum on the right side, as the total cm momentum is zero.
AlphaPhoton
Hello.

I have a problem that is making me crazy. Consider the following collision

[tex]A + B \rightarrow C[/tex]

which results in both particles (A and B) being destroyed and C being created.
I know the rest mass of all particles. Also, in the lab system, B is stationary and A is moving toward B. What is asked for is the momentum of particle A needed to allow for particle C to be created.

So I used the following squared four vectors:

[tex](E_A + m_B, p_A)^2 = (m_C, 0)^2[/tex]

with

[tex]E_A = \sqrt{(p_A^2 + m_A^2)}[/tex]

and solved for [tex]p_A[/tex]. What I got was different from what I got when I used energy conservation with

[tex]E_A + E_B = E_C \Leftrightarrow \sqrt{(p_A^2 + m_A^2)} + m_B = m_C[/tex]

Then I realized that I completely neglected the momentum on the right side in my first approach, so instead I did

[tex](E_A + m_B, p_A)^2 = (m_C, p_A)^2[/tex]

([tex]p_A[/tex] on the right side due to momentum conversion)

and got to the same result as with the second approach. Which is correct?

To make things even more confusing, I remembered an example our professor gave us:

[tex]\gamma + p \rightarrow p + \pi_- + \pi_+[/tex]

and he used the following squared four vectors:

[tex](E_\gamma + m_p, p_\gamma)^2 = (m_p + 2*m_\pi, 0)^2[/tex]

Note that he completely neglected the momentum on the right side. If neglecting the momentum was wrong in my first example, why is it correct here? I don't get it, please, someone enlighten me :)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The threshold energy to produce a final state is the square of the sum of the produced masses, as in the RHS of your profs equation.
[tex](E_\gamma+m_p)^2-p_\gamma^2[/tex], the invariant he has on the left hand side equals the right hand side. Since the LHS is an invariant, its rest frame value equals its cm value where P=0. You can apply that to any case.

clem said:
The threshold energy to produce a final state is the square of the sum of the produced masses, as in the RHS of your profs equation.
[tex](E_\gamma+m_p)^2-p_\gamma^2[/tex], the invariant he has on the left hand side equals the right hand side. Since the LHS is an invariant, its rest frame value equals its cm value where P=0. You can apply that to any case.

Okay, but what about my first example then? Can I use
[tex]
(E_A + m_B, p_A)^2 = (m_C, 0)^2
[/tex]
then with the same reasoning to calculate the needed momentum of particle A, and if so, why don't I get the same result if I use pure energy conservation laws?

AlphaPhoton said:
So I used the following squared four vectors:

[tex](E_A + m_B, p_A)^2 = (m_C, 0)^2[/tex]

That equation gives the correct threshold lab energy E_A.

What I got was different from what I got when I used energy conservation with

[tex]E_A + E_B = E_C \Leftrightarrow \sqrt{(p_A^2 + m_A^2)} + m_B = m_C[/tex]
This equation is wrong for the reason you mentioned. In the lab system, conservation of energy requires [tex]\sqrt{p_A^2+m_c^2}[/tex] for E_C.
Note that he completely neglected the momentum on the right side.
[/QUOTE
He did not. The momentum in that case is the total cm momentum which is zero.

What is momentum conservation in collisions?

Momentum conservation in collisions is the principle that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total amount of movement or "push" of the objects involved in the collision does not change, even though individual objects may change direction or speed.

Why is momentum conservation important in collisions?

Momentum conservation is important because it allows us to predict the outcome of a collision and understand the interactions between objects. It also helps us to understand the laws of physics, such as Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How is momentum conserved in collisions?

Momentum is conserved in collisions through the exchange of forces between objects. When two objects collide, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other, which causes their momentum to remain constant. This can be seen in the formula for momentum conservation, which states that the total initial momentum of the system is equal to the total final momentum of the system.

What types of collisions exhibit momentum conservation?

All types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions, exhibit momentum conservation. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. However, in both cases, the total momentum of the system remains constant.

Are there any exceptions to momentum conservation in collisions?

In some cases, external forces may act on the system during a collision, which can affect the conservation of momentum. For example, if a collision occurs on an inclined surface, gravity may cause the objects to lose some of their momentum. Additionally, if the collision is not perfectly elastic, some of the kinetic energy may be lost, which can affect the conservation of momentum. However, in most cases, momentum is still conserved, but with some slight modifications to account for these external factors.