Good books for learning Maths, Physics, & Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding engaging textbooks for year 11-12 maths, physics, and chemistry. The person is seeking recommendations for books that are both educational and enjoyable to read, but another person points out that success in A-Level studies is mostly based on learning the prescribed textbooks. Some suggested books are "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers." It is also mentioned that the college and high school versions of the latter book have slightly different content.
liberated
Hello,

I'm about to start my year 11 & 12 studies. Among the compulsory subjects I'm going to take Maths, Physics, and Chemistry so I can later go into mechatronics engineering.

However, I find it difficult to study my textbooks even though I generally love to read and I'm often reading scientific books and websites over the internet. This just makes me think that the textbooks are not written to be 'fun'.

Are there any books that I could order via amazon or through the internet which will teach the concepts of year 11-12 maths, physics, and chemistry but which are also fun to read?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some people don't like laughing ideas, if you actully interested in books with colorful images you can search google for comic maths, comic chemistry etc, I am sometimes hanging around on twitter, facebook where i am introduced some free ,chapters of comicsof science , seems like a new trend for learners of basic stuff, very fun to read

I'm sure there are such books but I don't think they'll help you at all academically, assuming you're in the UK the key to success in A-Level (bad as it may be) is just learning the textbook you're given, there's no credit given to those who read around the subject or enjoy it, its all about learning the key definitions they think you ought to know.

That said, if you're looking for a book to read for pleasure, there are plenty you could read, Stephen Hawking etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062731009/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is a classic. It covers the basics in a straightforward manner, and the funny-ish drawings really help some people 'latch-on" to important concepts. SOme schools use this as a supplemental text.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321548094/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is one of the best textbooks out there. Very well written; simple but not simplistic. The edition published by Addison Wesley is the college version. The 11th 12th grade version is published by Prentice Hall. I have no idea why this is so. Both editions are pretty much the same, but the chapters are in different orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which book is suitable for engg.phy-ii

What are some good books for learning Maths, Physics, & Chemistry?

Some good books for learning Maths, Physics, & Chemistry are:

• The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Richard Feynman
  • Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart
  • Chemistry: The Central Science by Theodore L. Brown, H. Eugene LeMay Jr., and Bruce E. Bursten
  • Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang
  • Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser

What are some key concepts covered in these books?

Some key concepts covered in these books include:

• Calculus and its applications in physics
  • Chemical reactions and their underlying principles
  • Linear algebra and its use in solving mathematical problems
  • Modern physics theories and phenomena

Are these books suitable for beginners?

Yes, these books are suitable for beginners as they provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject matter and do not assume prior knowledge.

Do these books cover advanced topics as well?

Yes, these books cover both basic and advanced topics in Maths, Physics, & Chemistry, making them suitable for students at different levels of proficiency.

Are there any supplementary materials available for these books?

Some of these books may have accompanying websites or online resources that provide additional practice problems, interactive simulations, and other helpful materials for further learning.