What are some affordable introductory neuroscience books?

In summary, the individual is looking for an introductory neuroscience book and is concerned about their level of knowledge in biology. They have found some books, but they seem more geared towards medical students rather than neuroscience students. They have found a book on Amazon but are unsure if they have the required knowledge to understand it. They also mention a free online resource for reading, but they prefer a physical book. They ask for recommendations for a cheaper option and mention having a basic understanding of chemistry. The individual suggests trying the book "Kandel" which is priced at $80.
Stratosphere
I'm looking for an introductory neuroscience book. I only know basic biology so I'm not sure if I'd be ok in reading a textbook (I do have the whole internet though if I come across something unfamiliar). I've seen several books however they seem geared for medical students instead of actual neuroscience students.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0781760038/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I found this book but I'm not sure if I have the required knowledge to just pick it up and read it and I'd like to find something cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like a real book though. Do you know if I'll be able to understand the books with hardly any previous knowledge?

Edit: I guess I should add that I have a basic understanding of chemistry.

1. What is the purpose of reading an intro neuroscience book?

An intro neuroscience book is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of the field of neuroscience. It covers the basic concepts and principles of neuroscience, including the structure and function of the brain, how neurons communicate, and the relationship between the brain and behavior. It is a great starting point for anyone interested in learning about neuroscience.

2. Who can benefit from reading an intro neuroscience book?

Intro neuroscience books are beneficial for anyone who wants to gain a basic understanding of the brain and how it works. This includes students, researchers, healthcare professionals, and anyone interested in learning about the brain and its functions.

3. What topics are typically covered in an intro neuroscience book?

An intro neuroscience book typically covers topics such as the history of neuroscience, the anatomy and physiology of the brain, neurochemistry, cognitive processes, and research methods used in neuroscience. It may also touch on topics such as neurodevelopment, neurological disorders, and the future of neuroscience.

4. Are there any recommended intro neuroscience books for beginners?

Yes, there are many intro neuroscience books that are recommended for beginners. Some popular titles include "Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain" by Mark F. Bear, "Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School" by John Medina, and "Principles of Neural Science" by Eric R. Kandel. It is always best to do some research and choose a book that best aligns with your interests and learning style.

5. How can reading an intro neuroscience book benefit me in my career?

Reading an intro neuroscience book can benefit your career in several ways. It can provide you with a strong foundation of knowledge in the field of neuroscience, which can be useful for pursuing further education or a career in neuroscience. It can also help you understand the brain and its functions, which can be beneficial for various careers in healthcare, research, and education. Additionally, reading an intro neuroscience book can improve your critical thinking and analytical skills, which are valuable in any career.