Best Differential Equations Books for Beginners: Recommendations and Reviews

In summary, the person is looking for an intro book to differential equations, a good book to go from there, and a book on numerical techniques. They suggest "An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations" by Agarwal and Regan, "Lectures on Ordinary Differential Equations" by Hurewicz, "An Analysis of Differential Equations" by Birkhoff and Davis, and "Dynamical Systems and Chaos" by Hirsch and Smale.
osnarf
I was wondering if anybody could refer me to a few good differential equations books? I took an intro to diff eq class, but due to my job changing my work hours to the same time as the class I didn't get the full experience of the class (i got a B, but I don't really understand the material it was mostly just cramming).

So basically I have some exposure to it, but if you could refer me to a good intro book, and then a book or two to go to from there, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/0395206545/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Creighton Buck. You can get this book for dirt cheap on Amazon (like $3 cheap), but it is very good. Creighton Buck wrote a few other books, most notably Advanced Calculus, and he writes in a very down to Earth manner. Don't be put off by the book's publication date.

The Boyce/DiPrima book focuses on techniques of solving ODEs, which are rather useless. I have used less than half of the techniques I learned using that book. The Buck book will contain techniques, but will discuss the concepts, approximation methods, and even some modern topics that probably aren't in the Boyce/DiPrima book.

What are you looking for? Boyce and DiPrima is the standard from what I've seen. It's decent. If you are self teaching you would benefit from something with a solutions manual. For engineering applications, numerical techniques are more important.

"Lectures on Ordinary Differential Equations" by Hurewicz is pretty good if you are looking for the mathematician's point of view. It is NOT a manual of methods for solving ODEs, though. Pretty self-containted, any analysis theorem that's brought up is usually stated formally and used without proof.

My class is using "An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations" by Agarwal and Regan, which I personally like. It goes a little too much into uniqueness theorems. It has like 10, and it's like "...seriously?" so I would read the sections that interest you. It's pretty self-contained, except the book has like two chapters literally dedicated to sharing theorems and random info from analysis and algebra.

If you want some Dynamical System type of thing, Hirsch and Smale is classic.

I think I'm going to get Morris & Tenebaums and bucks, and read bucks first then go to Tenebaum. I appreciate your help guys.

1. What are differential equations (Diff EQ)?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why do I need to study differential equations?

Diff EQ is an important tool for scientists and engineers as it allows them to model and understand complex systems and processes in the natural world. It is also used in many fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

3. What are some good books for learning differential equations?

Some popular books for learning differential equations include "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons, and "A First Course in Differential Equations" by Dennis G. Zill.

4. Are there any online resources for learning differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning differential equations. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. You can also find numerous tutorials and lecture notes on websites such as YouTube, MathIsFun, and Math24.net.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand differential equations?

While a strong background in math is helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basics of differential equations. However, some knowledge of calculus and linear algebra is recommended to fully grasp the concepts and applications of Diff EQ.