Hydrogen atom vs hydrogen nucleus.

In summary: Remember, the volume of a sphere is V = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3. So for the atom, the volume is V = \frac{4}{3} \pi (1.06\times 10^{-10})^3. For the nucleus, you can do the same thing, but you have to scale the radius up as we did before.Good luck!In summary, a hydrogen atom has a diameter of 1.06x10^-10 m, while its nucleus has a diameter of 2.40x10^-15 m. To represent the atom's diameter as the length of a football field (100 yards = 300 ft), we can scale up the nucleus
albinoboy

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom has a diameter of approximately 1.06x10^-10 m, as defined by the diameter of the spherical electron cloud around the nucleus. The hydrogen nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.40x10^-15 m.

(a) For a scale model, represent the diameter of the hydrogen atom by the length of an American football field (100 yards = 300 ft) and determine the diameter of the nucleus in millimeters.

(b) The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

Homework Equations

2.40x10^-15 (1000mm/1m) = 2.40e-12

V=(4/3)*pi*r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I got 2.40e-12
It says "Your response differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude."

For (b) I got 4.42e4
It says "Your response differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Hello albinoboy,

Just a couple of general pointers:

Don't forget to convert the length of a football field to meters.

How much bigger is the length of a football field than the diameter of a hydrogen atom? So scaling the diameter of the nucleus by the same amount gives us...

You used "2.40x10^-15 (1000mm/1m) = 2.40e-12", but that's just converting the actual diameter of the nucleus from meters to millimeters. I believe the question is asking you to scale up the whole atom to the size of a football field, and then express the scaled-up diameter of the nucleus in millimeters. In other words, "if hydrogen atoms were the size of football fields, how big would hydrogen nuclei be?"

You have the correct relevant equation given for volume. But your answer isn't correct. Showing your work would help get better responses.

collinsmark said:
Hello albinoboy,

Just a couple of general pointers:

Don't forget to convert the length of a football field to meters.

How much bigger is the length of a football field than the diameter of a hydrogen atom? So scaling the diameter of the nucleus by the same amount gives us...

You used "2.40x10^-15 (1000mm/1m) = 2.40e-12", but that's just converting the actual diameter of the nucleus from meters to millimeters. I believe the question is asking you to scale up the whole atom to the size of a football field, and then express the scaled-up diameter of the nucleus in millimeters. In other words, "if hydrogen atoms were the size of football fields, how big would hydrogen nuclei be?"

You have the correct relevant equation given for volume. But your answer isn't correct. Showing your work would help get better responses.

I am unsure if I am following correctly. Do I take 2.40x10^-15 and multiply it by how many meters are in a football field?

albinoboy said:
I am unsure if I am following correctly. Do I take 2.40x10^-15 and multiply it by how many meters are in a football field?

Not quite. What I'm saying is find,

[tex] x = \frac{ \mbox{length of a football field, in meters}}{\mbox{diameter of a hydrogen atom, in meters}} [/tex]

Now you can say, Football fields are x times bigger than hydrogen atoms."

Now scale the nucleus diameter by the same amount.

If you're having trouble, think of it this way. You've multiplied the diameter of a hydrogen atom by x to make it as big as a football field. Now multiply the diameter of the nucleus by x to keep it proportional to the size of football field sized atom.

Moving on to part (b). Here you need to find the volume of a hydrogen atom and the volume of a hydrogen nucleus, then divide the two. You can do this directly using your relevant equation. (But you might find it easier to keep things in terms of equations before you divide, because a lot of terms will cancel out and you'll have fewer calculations; although this is not absolutely necessary. You should get the same result either way.)

What is the difference between a hydrogen atom and a hydrogen nucleus?

A hydrogen atom is composed of a single proton in its nucleus, surrounded by a single electron in its orbit. A hydrogen nucleus, on the other hand, refers to the single proton in the center of the atom.

How does the size of a hydrogen atom compare to its nucleus?

The size of a hydrogen atom is significantly larger than its nucleus. The radius of a hydrogen atom is about 10,000 times larger than the radius of its nucleus. This is because the electron cloud extends far beyond the nucleus.

Can a hydrogen atom exist without a nucleus?

No, a hydrogen atom cannot exist without a nucleus. The nucleus is essential for holding the atom together and providing a positive charge to balance the negative charge of the electron. Without a nucleus, the atom would not be stable.

How does the mass of a hydrogen atom compare to its nucleus?

The mass of a hydrogen atom is mostly concentrated in its nucleus. The mass of a hydrogen nucleus, which is just a single proton, is about 1800 times greater than the mass of its electron.

Are there any other particles in a hydrogen atom besides the proton and electron?

Yes, there are other particles in a hydrogen atom, such as neutrons. However, these particles are only present in hydrogen isotopes, which have different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei. The most common form of hydrogen, known as protium, only contains a proton and an electron.