Heating coils/Heater batteries sizing.

In summary, to size a heater battery for a supply and extract heat recovery air handling unit with a 50% efficiency for heat recovery, you need to use the formula Q=M.Cp.DT. This formula calculates the heat load based on the mass flow rate of air and the temperature difference between the outside air and the return air. The mass flow rate can be calculated using the air volume and density of air, assuming standard atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 0°C. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to find the heat load, which in this case is -35.75 kW. This information can help you select a suitable heater battery for your needs.
cookie85
Can anyone please size a heater battery for me? On a supply and extract heat recovery air handling unit. (50% efficient for heat recovery)

Outside temperature -2 degrees C
Room temp/Return air - 21 degrees C
Air voume - 1.3 m3/sec
Boiler flow and return - 80-60 degrees C.

I have been told i need to use Q=M.Cp.DT. Is this right and how would i do this? I have no idea.

I know i need to use the Cp of air, 1.02 and the DT of the on/off coil temperatures. I need some guidance on this please.

Fill explination would be appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct in using Q=M.Cp.DT to size your heater battery. The formula works like this: Q = Heat Load (kW) M = Mass Flow Rate (kg/s) Cp = Specific Heat Capacity (kJ/kgK) DT = Temperature Difference (K) In order to calculate the heat load, you need to know the mass flow rate of air flowing through the system, and the temperature difference between the outside air and the return air. The mass flow rate of air can be calculated with the equation: M = Air Volume (m3/s) x Density (kg/m3) Assuming standard atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 0°C, the density of air is 1.2 kg/m3. So in your case, the mass flow rate is 1.3 m3/s x 1.2 kg/m3, or 1.56 kg/s. The temperature difference is the difference between the outside air and the return air. In your case, that would be -2°C - 21°C, or -23°C. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the Q=M.Cp.DT formula and calculate the heat load. Q = 1.56 kg/s x 1.02 kJ/kgK x (-23°C) = -35.75 kW This is the total heat load required for the heater battery. You will need to find a heater battery that can handle this kind of load. Hope this helps!

1. How do I determine the correct size of heating coils or heater batteries for my system?

To determine the correct size of heating coils or heater batteries for your system, you will need to consider factors such as the type of heating system, the size of the space being heated, and the desired temperature. It is recommended to consult a professional HVAC technician to accurately calculate the required size.

2. Why is it important to properly size heating coils or heater batteries?

Properly sizing heating coils or heater batteries is important because an undersized unit will not be able to provide enough heat, while an oversized unit can lead to energy waste and higher operating costs. It is crucial to find the right size to ensure efficient and effective heating.

3. Can I use the same size heating coils or heater batteries for different types of heating systems?

No, the size of heating coils or heater batteries will vary depending on the type of heating system. For example, a steam heating system will require larger coils than a hot water heating system. It is important to choose the appropriate size for the specific type of heating system being used.

4. How do I maintain the proper size of heating coils or heater batteries?

To maintain the proper size of heating coils or heater batteries, it is important to regularly clean and inspect them for any damage or wear. It is also important to follow manufacturer guidelines for maintenance and replace any worn or damaged parts to ensure optimal performance.

5. Can I change the size of my heating coils or heater batteries after installation?

It is not recommended to change the size of heating coils or heater batteries after installation as it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the heating system. It is best to consult a professional HVAC technician for any necessary changes or upgrades to the system.