Given two vectors find a unit vector that is perpendicular

In summary, to obtain a unit vector perpendicular to the given vectors \vec{A} and \vec{B}, you need to calculate the cross product of the two vectors and then divide each component by the magnitude of the resulting vector. The signs of the components can be kept the same or changed to opposite, as the vector will still be perpendicular.
1man
Given two vectors \vec{A} = - 2.00 \hat{ i } + 3.00 \hat{ j } + 4.00 \hat{k} and \vec{B} = 3.00 \hat{ i } + 1.00 \hat{ j } - 3.00 \hat{k}. Obtain a unit vector perpendicular to these two vectors.

Express your answer as a unit vector N_unit in the form N_x, N_y, N_z where the x, y, and z components are separated by commas.

i know this involves the cross product but I am stuck on what to do, can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fist calculate the cross product of the two vectors

[tex]\vec{A} = - 2.00 \hat{ i } + 3.00 \hat{ j } + 4.00 \hat{k}[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{B} = 3.00 \hat{ i } + 1.00 \hat{ j } - 3.00 \hat{k}[/tex]

ehild

i get -13, 6, -11, if my calculations are correct. do i need to find the magnitude of this? sqrt of 326... hen divide by this amount for each. Do I also need to change the +/- signs to make it perpendicular

Last edited:
The vector product is correct. The magnitude is correct. Yes, divide each component with the magnitude. You can use the signs as they are or change all to opposite, the vector stays perpendicular.

ehild

ty so much for your help

What is the definition of a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It represents the direction of a given vector without any change in magnitude.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. This can also be represented as ||v||.

What does it mean for two vectors to be perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if they intersect at a right angle, i.e. their dot product is equal to 0.

What is the formula for finding a unit vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors?

The formula for finding a unit vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors is u = (v x w) / ||v x w||, where v and w are the two given vectors and x represents the cross product.

Are there any real-life applications of finding a unit vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of 3D objects.