(Real Analysis) Show the function is Bijection

In summary, the problem is that the student is unable to solve the function for x and is seeking help. The student provides an attempt at a solution and the problem is that the student is not explaining the function well enough. The student also has a misunderstanding of the definition of a bijection.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

The problem and my attempt are attached.

I am unable to solve the function for x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, if you want to show injection, you need to show for all the values in the domain, now you only showing [tex]-1\neq1[/tex] how about [tex]-1\neq-1.1[/tex]?

so if you want to show an injection first see the definition of injection

whenever [tex]x\neq y \Rightarrow f(x) \neq f(y)[/tex]

or the contrapositive [tex]f(x)=f(y) \Rightarrow x=y[/tex]

normally i use the second one, so, for any for any x,y in R [tex] f(x)=f(y)\Rightarrow... \Rightarrow x=y[/tex]

that will complete the injection

Last edited:
hmm i just learn the latex, i don't know if there's a bug or its just me who did it wrong, I'm sorry, if i convey the different thing, try to refresh it ;P and sorry for my english

I don't understand what you're trying to do in 1). You say "Injection proof -1 [itex]\neq[/itex]1, and then go on to set f(-1) equal to f(1). ?

The idea here is the if f(a) = f(b), and f is one-to-one (i.e., f is an injection), then a = b.

The function is one-to-one.

To solve for x in the equation y = x/sqrt(x^2 + 1), square both sides of the equation, then move all terms in x to one side, and then factor.

It's a little tricky, because squaring both sides introduces extraneous solutions, so the equation for x does not seem to be a function. You will need to simplify the equation somewhat to make x a one-to-one function of y.

The definition for a bijection I usually use is:

Given [tex] f: A \rightarrow B, [/tex] f is a bijection if and only if

EDIT (thanks annoymage): [tex] \forall y \in B , \exists !x \in A \ni f(x) = y. [/tex]

"For all y in B, there exists a unique x in A such that f(x) = y."

Last edited:
Raskolnikov said:
The definition for a bijection I usually use is:

Given [tex] f: A \rightarrow B, [/tex] f is a bijection if and only if

[tex] \forall x \in A , \exists !y \in B \ni f(x) = y. [/tex]

"For all x in A, there exists a unique y in B such that f(x) = y."

hey, aren't that the definition of a function?

annoymage said:
hey, aren't that the definition of a function?

Yep, I have it backwards. Sorry, I'm a bit sleepy. It should be:

[tex]
\forall y \in B , \exists !x \in A \ni f(x) = y.
[/tex]

Raskolnikov said:
Yep, I have it backwards. Sorry, I'm a bit sleepy. It should be:

[tex]
\forall y \in B , \exists !x \in A \ni f(x) = y.
[/tex]

but that's the definition of a surjection

nope, the unique x part makes it a bijection. It's subtle but it's there! A surjection only guarantees there exists an x in A. A bijection tells us it's a unique x.

i see i see

The process is still of course the same:
Solve for x in terms of y and show that's it's a unique solution.

Based on your feedback. This is my bijection thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 372
I would rather you do as Mark44 suggested and solve for x in terms of y.

phillyolly said:
Based on your feedback. This is my bijection thing.

this complete the injection, and now as mark44 suggested to do for the surjection

What does it mean for a function to be a bijection?

A bijection is a type of function where every element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range has exactly one element in the domain that maps to it. This means that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

How can I show that a function is a bijection?

To show that a function is a bijection, you need to prove both injectivity and surjectivity. Injectivity can be shown by assuming that f(x) = f(y) and then proving that x = y. Surjectivity can be shown by proving that for every element in the range, there exists at least one element in the domain that maps to it.

What are the benefits of a bijection?

Bijections are useful in mathematical and scientific contexts because they ensure that every element in the domain has a unique mapping in the range, allowing for simpler and more accurate calculations and analyses. They also allow for easier inverse functions, as the bijection guarantees that every element in the range has a unique inverse in the domain.

What are some examples of bijections?

Some common examples of bijections include the square root function, the logarithmic function, and the exponential function. In each of these examples, every element in the domain has a unique mapping in the range, and every element in the range has a unique inverse in the domain.

What is the importance of proving a function is a bijection?

Proving that a function is a bijection is important in order to ensure that the function is well-defined and has a predictable behavior. It also allows for easier calculations and analyses, as well as the ability to use inverse functions. Additionally, bijections play a key role in various mathematical proofs and concepts, such as set cardinality and group theory.