How do antifolates work re leukemia?

• Thread starter blueplusgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, methotrexate slows the growth and proliferation of cancerous cells by interfering with DNA and RNA synthesis. It has a lot of side-effects, but can be effective in treating leukemia.
blueplusgreen
How do antifolates work re leukemia? I don't understand how healthy blood cells can get enough folate to mature when the same body's cancerous blast cells are being starved of it. Without folate, an otherwise healthy person gets anemic. How does this not apply to cancer patients? Can someone please explain?

The rapidity of cell division is listed as the reason but I would appreciate a little more explanation, an analogy, sumpin'!

Is it like giving the parent healthy blood cell and blast cell each a million bucks and each give their daughter cells each half and so on? So the faster the quicker blast cells procreate, the less the kids get? Can't the daughters go get their own supply? I don't understand! Please enlighten me!

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org

Antifolates act mostly during DNA and RNA synthesis. They interfere during the
S-phase of the cell cycle. So, there is a greater toxic effect on rapidly
dividing cells, than on cells that are not busy dividing.

These dividing cells in humans are largely the malignant and myeloid cells, and
cells lining the gastrointestinal tract. Since these guys replicate their DNA
more frequently, the drugs like methotrexate largely slow the growth and
proliferation of these cancerous cells. And mucosal cells, too.

Because the effect is pervasive there are a lot of possible side-effects, too.

Thank you! But I'm dense. Can you clarify a little more? I was reading how Sidney Farber injected almost comatose kids with aminopterin and they got out of bed and played (for a few months). Is it just that there is so much folate in a body--even in the presence of an antifolate-- that the healthy red blood cells are able to grab enough of it to replicate fully and live about 120 days which is about how long Farber's remissions lasted? And the malignant cells (and mucosal) that keep dividing get weakened cause there isn't enough left over? Is there some equation that shows how much folate a healthy cell needs versus a malignant one?

1. How do antifolates work against leukemia?

Antifolates work by disrupting the production of DNA and RNA in cancer cells, ultimately leading to their death. They do this by blocking the activity of an enzyme called dihydrofolate reductase, which is necessary for the production of DNA and RNA.

2. What are the different types of antifolates used in leukemia treatment?

The most commonly used antifolates in leukemia treatment are methotrexate, pralatrexate, and pemetrexed. These drugs have slightly different mechanisms of action, but all work to inhibit the production of DNA and RNA in cancer cells.

3. Are there any side effects associated with antifolate treatment for leukemia?

Yes, like most cancer treatments, antifolates can cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and fatigue. They can also lead to low levels of certain blood cells, which may increase the risk of infection or bleeding.

4. How long does it take for antifolates to start working against leukemia?

The effectiveness of antifolates in treating leukemia varies depending on the type and stage of the cancer, as well as individual patient factors. In some cases, antifolates may start working within a few weeks, while in others it may take several months to see significant results.

5. Can antifolates be used in combination with other treatments for leukemia?

Yes, antifolates are often used in combination with other chemotherapy drugs, targeted therapies, and radiation therapy to treat leukemia. This approach, known as combination therapy, can increase the effectiveness of treatment and help prevent the development of drug resistance.