First term of foundations of physics vs the second term

In summary, the speaker took a calculus-based physics course (251) last year and understood most of the material well. They are now considering taking a second course (252) on electricity and magnetism, but are unsure if they will be prepared enough. However, since they are currently taking a math course, the math involved in 252 should not be an issue. The speaker is mainly concerned about any physics concepts from 251 that may be needed for 252. The other person reassures them that it shouldn't be a problem and suggests going over the textbook before the class starts.
andyroo
I took the first term of a Foundations of Physics sequence (251) last year, and understood most of the material fairly well. It was calculus based Newtonian mechanics; units and vectors; one-dimensional motion; Newton’s laws; work and energy; momentum and collisions. Since it's been a year though, and I was considering taking 252, which is about electricity and magnetism; charge and electric field; electric potential; circuits; magnetic field; inductance, I wasn't sure if I would be prepared enough for the class. I'm in vector/multi-var. calculus right now, so the math involved won't be an issue, I'm just more concerned about any physics concepts from 251 that might be needed to understand the material in 252. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on how I might want to prepare, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it will be that much of a problem.

Having the math background will help a lot. You may be a bit rusty after a year off, but it wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you understood most of the stuff in the first part of the course, conceptual things should come back fairly quickly when you need them.

G01 said:
Having the math background will help a lot. You may be a bit rusty after a year off, but it wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you understood most of the stuff in the first part of the course, conceptual things should come back fairly quickly when you need them.

Alright. I'll just go over the textbook for a few hours the week before class starts and leave it at that. Thanks!

It sounds like you have a good foundation in Newtonian mechanics from your first term of Foundations of Physics. While the topics covered in 252 may seem different, many of the underlying principles and equations are still based on the laws of motion and conservation of energy that you learned in 251. Additionally, your current coursework in vector and multi-variable calculus will be very beneficial in understanding the mathematical concepts in 252.

To prepare for 252, I would recommend reviewing the material from 251 and making sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts. This will help you make connections between the topics you have already learned and the new material in 252. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the equations and formulas that you will need to use in 252, as well as any new units or quantities that may be introduced.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to your instructor or classmates for help and clarification if needed. Physics is a challenging subject, but with a strong foundation and a willingness to ask questions and seek help, you can be successful in 252. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What are the main differences between the first and second term of foundations of physics?

The first term of foundations of physics usually covers the fundamental concepts and laws of physics, such as motion, forces, energy, and thermodynamics. The second term delves deeper into more advanced topics, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

2. Is it necessary to take the first term before the second term of foundations of physics?

Yes, it is highly recommended to take the first term before the second term as it builds a strong foundation of understanding for the more complex topics covered in the second term.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking the second term of foundations of physics?

Most universities or institutions may require students to have completed certain math courses, such as calculus and linear algebra, before taking the second term of foundations of physics. This is because these math skills are crucial for understanding advanced physics concepts.

4. What is the teaching style like in the first and second term of foundations of physics?

The first term may focus more on theoretical concepts and problem solving, while the second term may involve more hands-on experiments and applications of the theories learned. However, this may vary depending on the institution and instructor.

5. Can I switch between the first and second term of foundations of physics?

In most cases, it is possible to switch between the first and second term of foundations of physics if needed. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor or instructor first to ensure a smooth transition and to make sure you have the necessary knowledge and skills for the second term.