What Are Some Overlooked Physics Concepts in Wrestling and Other Combat Sports?

In summary: I have a test tomorrow on these 7 concepts. I hope to get more then that.In summary, Fulcrum, Rotation, Momentum are the basic concepts you need to know to understand wrestling, judo, and shuai jiao. You could focus on the advantage you get by lifting you opponent off the ground. Leverage or rotation are probably good ways to go, too. Slapping the mat to reduce the shock elsewhere might also be a good idea.
coolio
Hi, I'm having trouble thinking some physics concept in Wrestling/Judo/Shuai Jiao/Greco Roman
Besides Gravity and friction...
Help =/

Physics news on Phys.org
coolio said:
Hi, I'm having trouble thinking some physics concept in Wrestling/Judo/Shuai Jiao/Greco Roman
Besides Gravity and friction...
Help =/

Here is a video that shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tc4PHCiKpiE" up the physics of wrestling (it contains substantial mistakes). I might give you some ideas, though. Maybe you could start with it and explain the correct physics.

You could focus on the advantage you get by lifting you opponent off the ground. Leverage or rotation are probably good ways to go, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fulcrum, Rotation, Momentum. I pretty got all the basic concept.. I don't know any other concepts besides the basic ones.

coolio said:
Fulcrum, Rotation, Momentum. I pretty got all the basic concept.. I don't know any other concepts besides the basic ones.

Is this for a presentation in physics course? Have you studied any physics? I see stuff you could do with the laws of motion.

In judo, you learn to spread your weight when falling. Even to transform falling (kinetic) energy to noise (acoustic) by slapping the mat to reduce the shock elsewhere. It would be interesting to see just what fraction of the energy is dissipated by the slap.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
In judo, you learn to spread your weight when falling. Even to transform falling (kinetic) energy to noise (acoustic) by slapping the mat to reduce the shock elsewhere. It would be interesting to see just what fraction of the energy is dissipated by the slap.

Looking at how you land looks like a promising way to think about physics. You can see it either as extending the time that you change your momentum or the distance over which you change your energy to minimize the force with which the ground hits you.

I learned to slap the mat in Aikido. I think the benefit of the slap must be psychological. Sound involves tiny amounts of energy. I read somewhere recently the zen-like statement that the sound of a million conversation equals the power output of flashlight.

I think the release of endorphines when you shout (or swear, apparently) would take some of the pain away. Only nutters and goalkeepers like doing that sort of thing! They have no nerve endings on their bodies, I think.
But the idea of lengthening the time or distance for deceleration is a very reasonable one.

Fewmet said:
Is this for a presentation in physics course? Have you studied any physics? I see stuff you could do with the laws of motion.

Yeah i do have the presentation. But i still need more concepts- i only have gotten 7 total.

1. What is the role of physics in wrestling?

The role of physics in wrestling is to explain the various movements and actions that take place during a match. It helps to understand how forces and energy are applied to achieve different outcomes, such as throwing an opponent or maintaining balance. Physics also plays a role in determining the weight classes and equipment used in wrestling, as well as the rules and regulations of the sport.

2. How does momentum affect a wrestling match?

Momentum is a crucial aspect in wrestling as it determines the amount of force an object has while in motion. In a wrestling match, the momentum of a wrestler can be used to their advantage by combining their own momentum with that of their opponent to execute a successful move. Understanding the principles of momentum can also help wrestlers anticipate and counter their opponent's movements.

3. What is the impact of center of mass in wrestling?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed. In wrestling, understanding the center of mass of both yourself and your opponent is essential for maintaining balance and executing successful moves. By manipulating the center of mass of their opponent, a wrestler can destabilize them and gain an advantage in the match.

4. How does friction play a role in wrestling?

Friction is the resistance between two surfaces when they come into contact with each other. In wrestling, friction is a significant factor as it affects the grip and movement of wrestlers on the mat. By applying different amounts of force and pressure, wrestlers can manipulate friction to their advantage, making it easier to execute throws and holds.

5. How do the laws of motion apply to wrestling?

The three laws of motion, as stated by Newton, are applicable to wrestling. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This can be seen in wrestling when a wrestler stays in their position until an opponent applies a force to move them. The second and third laws, which deal with force and action and reaction, are also evident in the movements and techniques used in wrestling.