ESD Safety of 2N7000 MOSFETs for Home Experimentation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MOSFETs for experimentation and the potential risk of damaging them with static electricity. The person mentions their previous experience with a similar type of MOSFET and how it was protected by Zener diodes. They also ask about the safety of using the 2N7000s for home experimentation and the potential need for special handling precautions. The conversation concludes with suggestions for grounding oneself before handling the MOSFET and the recommendation to purchase a large quantity of MOSFETs.
Jiggy-Ninja
I've been thinking abut getting some MOSFETs to play around with (my classes skipped right over that particular section), specifically some http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N%2F2N7000.pdf" from Mouser.

However, I've read in my textbook that MOSFETs, because of their insulated gate, can be easily destroyed by static electricity. Is that true for the particular kind I've linked?

In Comm class we handled BFR84 Dual Gate MOSFETs, and they survived normal handling pretty well. It even survived getting hooked up backwards (because I interpreted the pin-out wrong) and getting quite hot a few times before I figured out how it was supposed to go in.

The datasheet for those showed a pair of Zener diodes hooking each gate to the source. This was probably how they could survive; the Zeners kept the static voltage down below 10V, so it was never enough to damage the device.

The 2N7000 have a diode shown in the datasheet, but it's from source to drain instead of gate to source. Does that diode help keep it ESD safe, or does it serve another purpose?

Would it be safe to get the 2N7000s for home experimentation, or would I need special handling precautions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's what's called a body diode. It's part of the construction of the FET so the gate is probably sensitive to ESD on this device.

Usually if a part is ESD protected it will say so on the datasheet.

Just buy fifty or so, the stuff's cheap as dirt. I'm going to get a lot of pn4117 's, not mosfets but jfets.
I'd guess you'll burn more by overcurrent than by esd. you can wrap a wire around all leads (short all leads) while you're soldering it, and remove afterwards, that'd protect it from whatever voltage you can have on soldering iron by capacitive coupling.

99% of the time you'll have no problems at at all.
Before touching the Mosfet you can ground yourself. Touching the metal chassis of your PC is enough to ground yourself.

1. What is ESD and why is it important to consider when using 2N7000 MOSFETs for home experiments?

ESD stands for electrostatic discharge and refers to the sudden flow of electricity between two objects with different electrical potentials. It is important to consider when using 2N7000 MOSFETs for home experiments because the MOSFETs are sensitive electronic components that can be damaged by ESD, leading to malfunction or failure.

2. How can I protect my 2N7000 MOSFETs from ESD while conducting home experiments?

There are several ways to protect your 2N7000 MOSFETs from ESD. One option is to use an anti-static wrist strap, which grounds you and prevents the buildup of static electricity. Another option is to use an anti-static mat on your work surface. You can also use ESD-safe tools and handling techniques to minimize the risk of ESD damage.

3. Are there any specific precautions I should take when handling 2N7000 MOSFETs to prevent ESD damage?

Yes, there are several precautions you should take when handling 2N7000 MOSFETs to prevent ESD damage. These include wearing an anti-static wrist strap, using anti-static tools and handling techniques, and avoiding touching the metal pins or leads of the MOSFETs directly with your fingers.

4. Can I use 2N7000 MOSFETs for high-voltage experiments at home?

No, 2N7000 MOSFETs are not suitable for high-voltage experiments at home. These MOSFETs have a maximum voltage rating of 60V, which is not high enough for many high-voltage experiments. It is important to always check the specifications of your components and choose appropriate ones for your experiments.

5. What should I do if my 2N7000 MOSFETs get damaged by ESD during a home experiment?

If your 2N7000 MOSFETs get damaged by ESD during a home experiment, you should replace them with new ones. It is important to handle the new MOSFETs with care and take precautions to prevent ESD damage. You may also want to consider using ESD protection devices, such as transient voltage suppressors, to prevent future ESD damage to your components.