90% done with this evenly dstrbtd chrg on infinite line problem. PLEASE help 10%

In summary: Just remember to use λ0 instead of Q/L .In summary, the problem involves a continuous line of charge with a uniform linear charge density λ0 along the x-axis extending from +x0 to positive infinity. The magnitude of the electric field at the origin is found using the equations dE = (kedq) / r2 and dq = λdx, leading to the solution E = keλ0 / x0 in the direction of the negative x-axis.
twisted079
90% done with this "evenly dstrbtd chrg on infinite line" problem. PLEASE help 10%

Homework Statement

A continuous line of charge lies along the x-axis, extending from x=+x0 to positive infinity. The line carries positive charge with a uniform linear charge density λ0.
What is the magnitude of the electric field at the origin? (Use λ0, x0 and ke as necessary.)

Homework Equations

1) dE = (kedq) / r2
2) dq = λdx = (Q/L)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the prior equations to set up: dE = (keQ / L) * dx/x2
Now time to integrate, but first a few questions. I understand "L" is the length of the entire rod? But so is x? Am I using L and x the right way or should I put everything in terms of x? Second, what are the constants that I pull out of the integral? Since its to infinity, doesn't "L" (or x?) change, meaning I can't pull out the L? I understand ke and Q are constant so I pull them out, is that all? Also I am integrating from 0 to infinity correct? Depending on what the set integral is, I understand that there is a possibility that when I integrate, infinity might be a denominator, making that part go to 0? I am kind of confused, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

x is not the length. It's just a general position along the x-axis.

You don't need L. The answer should have λ0 in it dq = λ0 dx .

You're about 50% done, at best.

Last edited:

But λ = Q/L, or in this case would it be Q/x?

Edit: What about the constants that I could pull out of the integral?

Ok, so this is my idea of what the solution would look like:

(keQ) / L 0infinity dx/x2

---> 1/x2 dx becomes -(1/x) which puzzles me because this leads to no solution except keQ/L (L or x) ... Please help!

Maybe I wasn't clear. Wherever you have Q/L, use λ0 instead.

If you had such a line of charge, then if you cut a length, L, of that line and measured the amount of charge, Q, for that length, L, you would find the ratio of charge to length to be λ0 .

In other words, Q/L = λ0 , anywhere on the line.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

dq = λdx
dE = keλdx / x2
E = keλ 0 dx/x2
E = keλ(-1/x) from 0 to ∞

Now, when I plus 0 in, I run into a problem

The integral should go from x0 to ∞ .

So I would have

E = keλ(-1/x0 - 0) --> -(keλ / x0) ?

Yes, Except you're finding the magnitude. Drop the "-" sign .

I edited this post, but you must have seen it before I made the changes.

Ah okay, and the direction would be in the negative x-axis. Thank you so much for your help!

twisted079 said:
Ah okay, and the direction would be in the negative x-axis. Thank you so much for your help!
Yes. Your previous answer is almost correct.

1. What is the problem about?

The problem is about calculating the electric field at a point on an infinite line due to a charge evenly distributed along the line.

2. What do you mean by "90% done with this problem"?

It means that the solution to the problem is almost complete, but some final steps or calculations still need to be done.

3. How do you distribute the charge evenly on an infinite line?

This can be done by dividing the total charge by the length of the line and placing equal amounts of charge at equal intervals along the line.

4. What is the importance of solving this problem?

This problem is important as it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they are affected by evenly distributed charges in an infinite line. It also has practical applications in the study of electromagnetism and can be used to solve more complex problems.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to this problem?

Yes, the solution involves using the concept of Coulomb's Law and integrating the electric field contribution from each charge element along the infinite line. It can be broken down into smaller steps and calculations to arrive at the final answer.