This integral is just whooping my butt

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, when someone says an integral is "whooping their butt", it means they are struggling to solve it. Integrals can be difficult because they require mathematical knowledge, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving techniques. To check if you are on the right track, you can differentiate the result. Some strategies for solving difficult integrals include using techniques like substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. There are many resources available to help with solving integrals, such as online tutorials, textbooks, math forums, and computer programs/calculators. It can also be helpful to consult with a math teacher or tutor for guidance and support.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

General antiderivative of:

e^(sqrt(2x) + 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/integralm.png/

I have no idea what to do, my process is chaotic. I arrive at an answer but it doesn't seem to agree with the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct, though the book answer would probably factor it: [itex](\sqrt{2x}-1)\exp(\sqrt{2x}+3)[/itex]. Is that what the difference is?

As to your method, you could just make one substitution, [itex]y = \sqrt{2x}[/itex], rather than making two.

What does it mean when an integral is "whooping my butt"?

When someone says that an integral is "whooping their butt", it means that they are struggling to solve or understand it.

Why are integrals difficult to solve?

Integrals can be difficult to solve because they require a combination of mathematical knowledge, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving techniques. They often involve complex functions and require multiple steps to solve.

How do I know if I am on the right track when solving an integral?

One way to check if you are on the right track when solving an integral is to double-check your work by differentiating the result. If you get the original function back, then you have solved the integral correctly.

What are some strategies for solving difficult integrals?

Some strategies for solving difficult integrals include using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It can also be helpful to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

Are there any resources available to help with solving integrals?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with solving integrals, such as online tutorials, textbooks, and math forums. Additionally, there are computer programs and calculators that can assist with solving integrals. It can also be helpful to consult with a math teacher or tutor for guidance and support.