Splitting infrared and visible light.

In summary, the author suggests using a prism to split sunlight into its different colors so that they can be used for energy generation. The prism will need to be constructed of a material that is resistant to heat, and the author recommends checking the specifications for the prism before purchasing it. The author also suggests using filters to collect specific frequencies of light instead of using a prism.
hyderjoe
Hi all, is there an efficient way of splitting both of these waves of sunlight?? I've came across http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_classroom/classroom_activities/herschel_example.html and thought of an idea of using a prism. But, do you think that is is efficient? ( I'm going to use this to collect both light and heat from sunlight for energy generation). Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
I'd say check the specifications for the material used to construct the prism and see how much of each wavelength range is transferred through. Purely offhand I would say it is efficient, but bulky and heavy if you are wanting to generate power by collecting the light.

I wonder if the temperature difference of the both ends of spectrum will be big or not, I won't want my solar cell to burn up (i'm using fresnel lens to focus the sunlight)

hyderjoe said:
Hi all, is there an efficient way of splitting both of these waves of sunlight?? I've came across http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_classroom/classroom_activities/herschel_example.html and thought of an idea of using a prism. But, do you think that is is efficient? ( I'm going to use this to collect both light and heat from sunlight for energy generation). Thanks!

google 'cold mirror' or the like. You can fairly easily find long-pass filters at (nearly) any wavelength you like:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/products/browse.cfm?categoryid=41&subcatid=1808,1809

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your info, it really help much! But I've a question, how well does the cold mirror tolerate heat? Does it cracks easily if I were to concentrate sunlight on it?? Thanks

It will work just fine in direct sunlight.

yeah, but will it crack when heated? because the mirror I'm getting has small dimension, I'll need to focus sunlight for sufficient light for energy collection...

Do remember that IR, UV and visible light aren't discrete single frequencies. They are a range of frequencies. I was also thinking of filters rather than a prism. You just need to decide what range of frequencies you wish to collect and locate filters that will do the job. Keep us posted on what you use and how well it works. This is very interesting.

I just checked the price for cold mirror, they're not cheap...

1. What is the purpose of splitting infrared and visible light?

The purpose of splitting infrared and visible light is to separate the two types of light in order to study their properties and behaviors separately. This allows scientists to better understand how each type of light interacts with matter and how it can be used in various applications.

2. How is infrared and visible light split?

Infrared and visible light can be split using a variety of methods, such as using diffraction gratings, optical filters, or prisms. These methods take advantage of the different wavelengths of light to separate them into distinct beams.

3. What are some common applications of splitting infrared and visible light?

Splitting infrared and visible light is commonly used in spectroscopy, where the different properties of each type of light can be studied and analyzed. It is also used in imaging techniques, such as infrared and visible light microscopy, as well as in telecommunications and remote sensing.

4. Can infrared and visible light be split simultaneously?

Yes, infrared and visible light can be split simultaneously using specialized equipment such as multiple diffraction gratings or dichroic mirrors. This allows for more efficient and accurate analysis of the two types of light.

5. What are the differences between infrared and visible light?

Infrared light has longer wavelengths and lower frequencies than visible light, making it invisible to the human eye. It is commonly used in heating and imaging applications. Visible light, on the other hand, is the range of wavelengths that can be seen by the human eye and is responsible for the colors we perceive. It is used in a variety of applications, including lighting, photography, and displays.