Is it wise to major in mathematics if I want to pursue a masters in economics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle with math, their interest in pursuing a major in investment and learning programming, and their future plans for a BS in Mathematics, minor in Computer Science, and potentially an MS in Economics or MBA. They also express a desire to pursue a PhD in Physics in the future, but the other person warns about the challenges and potential struggles of obtaining a PhD and the importance of knowing what one truly wants to do. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of transitioning from finance to teaching physics and the dedication and hard work required to become a professor.
happyhiker
Let me provide a little background information:

I've always found math challenging for a number of reasons. It's the only subject that I had a hard time learning on my own. I even developed some kind of "math anxiety" in high school. However, I feel like it would be incredibly liberating to master the subject.

I'm having a difficult time deciding on a major. I'm interested in investment (work at a holding company of some sort) and I also want to learn how to program in college.

Here is my current plan:

B.S Mathematics
Minor Computer Science

MS Economics/MBA

P.S I know for a fact that I want to go back to school and pursue a masters/PhD in physics at some point in my life (I know, a bit overly ambitious).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes BS Math -> MS/MA Economics

I am not sure you can then -> PhD Physics. Probably not.

Pyrrhus said:
Yes BS Math -> MS/MA Economics

I am not sure you can then -> PhD Physics. Probably not.

Thanks. Definitely something to think about.

happyhiker said:
Thanks. Definitely something to think about.

Physics is not only the math. They want to make sure you have taken the proper physics courses.

Maybe Double major in Math and Physics -> MS/MA Economics -> PhD Physics. However, I think you definitely not clear of anything at all. You don't know what you want to do. I don't see the point of a master's in economics if you want a PhD in Physics. If you want to do physics then do physics, if you want to do Econ then do Econ.

I think a huge problem these days is that people are asking to study Physics to move to Wall Street careers. I don't think that is wise. How are you going to survive a PhD? A PhD is one of the most important commitments you may make in your life. Realize that NOT EVERYONE that starts a PhD finishes with a PhD. Also, you may STRUGGLE, scratch that, you will STRUGGLE. Is it really worth it?

Pyrrhus said:
Physics is not only the math. They want to make sure you have taken the proper physics courses.

Maybe Double major in Math and Physics -> MS/MA Economics -> PhD Physics. However, I think you definitely not clear of anything at all. You don't know what you want to do. I don't see the point of a master's in economics if you want a PhD in Physics. If you want to do physics then do physics, if you want to do Econ then do Econ.

I think a huge problem these days is that people are asking to study Physics to move to Wall Street careers. I don't think that is wise. How are you going to survive a PhD? A PhD is one of the most important commitments you may make in your life. Realize that NOT EVERYONE that starts a PhD finishes with a PhD. Also, you may STRUGGLE, scratch that, you will STRUGGLE. Is it really worth it?

You're probably right. There are very few subjects that I dislike. I lack focus.

I don't really want to work on Wall Street (I'll probably have to start there). I've always loved physics and I'd like to teach it some day. It's something that I want to do towards the later half of my career. At the moment I want to work in asset management.

Realistically you won't be able to move from finance to teaching physics unless you're content teaching at a high school or community college level. People who teach physics at universities have nearly dedicated their entire lives to the subject, making it impossible to walk in and get a job as a professor. You need publications and one hell of a work ethic to get a job as a professor.

1. Is a mathematics major necessary for a masters in economics?

No, it is not necessary to major in mathematics to pursue a masters in economics. While a strong foundation in mathematics can be beneficial for understanding complex economic models and theories, there are other majors that can also provide relevant skills and knowledge for this field.

2. What skills from a mathematics major are useful for a masters in economics?

A mathematics major can provide valuable skills for a masters in economics, such as analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in statistical analysis and data interpretation, and strong critical thinking skills. These skills can be applied to various economic concepts and research methods.

3. Can I major in economics and minor in mathematics for a masters in economics?

Yes, it is possible to major in economics and minor in mathematics for a masters in economics. This combination can provide a balance of economic theory and mathematical techniques, which can be useful for certain areas of economics such as econometrics or quantitative analysis.

4. Are there any drawbacks to majoring in mathematics for a masters in economics?

One potential drawback of majoring in mathematics for a masters in economics is that it may not provide as much exposure to economic theory and concepts compared to an economics major. Additionally, some courses in a mathematics major may not be directly applicable to economics, so it is important to carefully select courses that align with your interests and goals.

5. How can I determine if majoring in mathematics is the right choice for a masters in economics?

If you are considering majoring in mathematics for a masters in economics, it is important to research the curriculum and course offerings of both the mathematics and economics departments at your university. You can also speak with advisors or professors in both departments to gain a better understanding of how the two majors can complement each other and align with your career goals.