Request a physics/astronomy textbook listing

In summary: Already here. Try searching the subforum:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665696&highlight=classical+mechanics+beginners
Please use this thread if you don't see the physics/astronomy textbook you are looking for. In your post please include Title (edition) and author. We'll do our best to add it quickly. Once we add your listings we will delete your request post. Thanks!

Of course, we would appreciate your participation once your requested book listing is up :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To save us some work, please delete the ones that are already listed, e.g. Griffiths electrodynamics.

[Thanks! We'll probably delete others ourselves as we add them, or add a comment that they've been added.]

Last edited:
theoristo said:
An Introduction To Mechanics by Daniel Kleppner

Already listed:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665596

(try the forum search feature. :smile:)

A_B said:
Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi

lugita15 said:
A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics by John S. Townsend
The Einstein Theory of Relativity: A Trip tithe Fourth Dimension by Lilian R. Lieber

serllus reuel said:
Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology: A Basic Introduction (Oxford Master Series in Physics) by Ta Pei cheng

jedishrfu said:
The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind

elfmotat said:
Klauber's new book: Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory

Done, thanks!

Last edited:
Curvature in Mathematics and Physics (Dover Books on Mathematics)
by Shlomo Sternberg (Author)
Classical Mechanics: Point Particles and Relativity (Classical Theoretical Physics)
Principles of Electrodynamics (Dover Books on Physics) by Melvin Schwartz
Mathematics for Physicists (Dover Books on Physics) by Philippe Dennery
Topology and Geometry for Physicists (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Charles Nash
A First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwiebach

Introduction to physics by A. Kitaigorodsky

For special relativity the marvelous book

R. Sexl, H. Urbandtke, Relativity, Groups, Particles: Special Relativity and Relativistic Symmetry in Field and Particle Physics, Springer (2001)

seems not to be listed in the forum yet.

A brand-new advanced book on General Relativity, I just started to read and I like very much is

N. Strauman, General Relativity, 2nd Edition, Springer (2013)

General Physics
Author: L.D. Landau, A.I. Akhiezer & E.M. Lifshitz

How about Anthony Zee's new book: Einstein Gravity In A Nutshell?

I just started to work through this a few days ago and was surprised to see that it wasn't already listed here!

vanhees71 said:
A brand-new advanced book on General Relativity, I just started to read and I like very much is

N. Strauman, General Relativity, 2nd Edition, Springer (2013)

Same here, I just started reading it too. So far it's been really, really awesome plus it has solutions to a good number of the exercises and it's very rigorous as far as differential geometry goes. It feels like a much more modern, compactified version of MTW. The only thing I dislike is that the author constantly switches between ##\nabla_{\mu}## and ##;\mu## for the covariant derivative operator but that's just a minor thing.

Essential Physics by Frank Firk

Hi, I need thisook
Author: Supriyo Datta
Book: Lessons from Nanoelectronics A New Perspective on Transport

Can a moderator create a thread for <Quantum Theory for Mathematicians (Graduate Texts in Mathematics)> by Brian C. Hall ?
Thanks!

I would be very thankful for this Ukrainian reference book in English, if it exists:

Editor: Boris Ieremievich Verkin

Original title: МЕТОДЫ ПОЛУЧЕНИЯ И ИЗМЕРЕНИЯ НИЗКИХ И СВЕРХНИЗКИХ ТЕМПЕРАТУР

Original title in Latin: METODY POLUCHENIYA I IZMERENIYA NIZKIKH I SVERKHNIZKIKH TEMPERATUR

Google tranlsation: Methods of preparation and measurement of low and ultra-low temperatures

Published by: Naukova Dumka, USSR, 1987

From Special Relativity to Feynman Diagrams: A Course of Theoretical Particle Physics for Beginners (UNITEXT / Collana di Fisica e Astronomia)
by Riccardo D'Auria , Mario Trigiante

Introduction to Classical Mechanics by David Morin.

1. What is the purpose of "Request a physics/astronomy textbook listing"?

The purpose of "Request a physics/astronomy textbook listing" is to allow individuals to suggest and submit textbooks for inclusion in a comprehensive list of resources for studying physics and astronomy.

2. How can I submit a textbook for consideration?

You can submit a textbook for consideration by filling out the form and providing information such as the title, author, edition, and ISBN for the book. You can also include a brief description of the book and why you believe it should be included in the list.

3. Are there any specific criteria for textbooks to be included in the list?

While there are no set criteria, textbooks that are commonly used in physics and astronomy courses or are highly recommended by experts in the field are more likely to be included in the list. The textbook should also be relevant and up-to-date.

4. Can I request multiple textbooks to be added to the list?

Yes, you can request multiple textbooks to be added to the list. However, we recommend submitting textbooks that you have personally used and found helpful, rather than simply submitting a long list of textbooks.

5. How long does it take for a textbook to be added to the list after it has been requested?

The time it takes for a textbook to be added to the list can vary. Our team will review each submission and determine if the textbook meets the criteria for inclusion. This process can take several weeks to a few months, depending on the number of submissions and the availability of our team members.