IT Skills for Science/Engineering Environments

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of IT skills in various settings, such as business, labs, and universities. The speaker mentions their current skills in networking, general IT, and server administration, and expresses a desire to gain skills in programming and scripting, specifically in Unix/Linux. The other person suggests that in a science and engineering organization, having knowledge of Linux and Unix and the ability to write scripts in languages like Python and shell would be valuable. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the speaker is on the right track in terms of developing valuable IT skills for future job opportunities.
Moneer81
Hello,

I have been in the IT industry for a few years, and I have been gaining decent skills in networking, general IT, server administration, etc.

I eventually plan on going back to physics and/or engineering, so I was wondering if someone has any ideas on what skills are valuable in a lab or university settings when it comes to computing and IT? It might be nice to have those skills that could make me a more appealing candidate for a job or other opportunities.

In the business environment, MS and their products rule. So knowing things like Windows Server, Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, etc. is always in demand. I currently work for a software company and all the development here is done in the .NET framework and other related languages. All the servers are Windows servers.

I am currently working on honing my programming and scripting skills, and would love to get some more experience with Unix/Linux.

Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where I work (large science and engineering org) typically IT people need Linux and UNIX skills as well as MS. Also the ability to write Python and shell scripts is very valuable. Sounds to me you are on the right track.

What are the most important IT skills for scientists and engineers?

The most important IT skills for scientists and engineers include coding and programming, data analysis and visualization, database management, and project management. These skills allow scientists and engineers to effectively gather, analyze, and communicate data and results.

Why are IT skills important in science and engineering environments?

IT skills are crucial in science and engineering environments because they enable efficient and accurate data collection, analysis, and communication. With the use of IT skills, scientists and engineers can also automate processes, increase productivity, and make informed decisions.

How can scientists and engineers improve their IT skills?

Scientists and engineers can improve their IT skills by taking courses or workshops, attending conferences and seminars, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to stay updated with the latest technologies and tools in the field and to seek guidance from IT experts.

What are some common challenges scientists and engineers face with IT skills?

Some common challenges scientists and engineers may face with IT skills include keeping up with rapidly evolving technologies, troubleshooting technical issues, and managing large datasets. Additionally, there may be a learning curve for those who are not familiar with IT concepts and tools.

Are there any specific IT skills that are in high demand for scientists and engineers?

Yes, there are several IT skills that are in high demand for scientists and engineers, such as programming languages like Python and R, data analysis and visualization tools like Excel and Tableau, and database management systems like SQL. Project management skills are also valuable for effectively managing research projects and collaborations.