Is this a good salary for a software developer?

In summary, a 21-year-old fresh out of college has been offered a $25/hour salary for a 40-hour work week as an entry-level software developer. The salary is around $52,000+ and the company also offers support for employees to attend graduate school. The individual is considering attending graduate school part-time while gaining practical experience. The salary may be considered low in big cities like NYC, Chicago, or Boston, but for a position in Charlotte, North Carolina, it is a decent starting salary. The individual is interested in pursuing a computational mathematics program for their master's degree and the company offers benefits such as medical, dental, vision, and 401k matching. There is also the option for tuition reimbursement. However
trickslapper
I'm fresh out of college (21 years old) and i was recently offered an offer for 25/hour (40 hours) as an entry level software developer.

My original plan was to go to graduate school but, ~52,000+ sounds too good for me to pass up. The company also supports its employees by paying for them to go to school if it helps their career within the company. So my plan if i took this offer would be to attend graduate school part-time while i gain practical experience.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on where the job is (I'm assuming you are in the US). In most of the country that is an okay salary for a new grad in a software job. If it is in a big city like say NYC, Chicago, or Boston which also have high costs of living, then it's actually a pretty low salary. If the job is in the state of California and especially if it is in the Bay Area, DO NOT TAKE THAT JOB! That salary is way, way under the market rate.

As to the graduate school part - it really depends on what you want your career to be. Did you want to do a masters or PhD? What field do you want to go to graduate school in?

The position is in north carolina actually. I want to do a masters and i think i'll be going into a computational mathematics program. I don't know for sure where i want my career to settle but, i know that i want it to be a good marriage of math and programming skills.

There's a good chance you can get more if you negotiate.

assuming you haven't negotiated

I suppose this is for either the Triangle area (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill) or the Charlotte area? My feeling is that 52K is likely to be a pretty decent starting salary, but check out typical housing costs. (I'm in a rural area of the Carolinas, where 52K goes a long way.)

@jtbell the position is indeed in Charlotte. I actually have negotiated from 50k to 52k also.

Maybe I'm different than most of you but, that much money seems like a lot to me. I also don't have any other job offers at the moment.

trickslapper said:
The position is in north carolina actually. I want to do a masters and i think i'll be going into a computational mathematics program. I don't know for sure where i want my career to settle but, i know that i want it to be a good marriage of math and programming skills.

I grew up in Richmond, Virginia which has a fairly similar cost of living to Charlotte as far as I can tell, so I'd say that salary is probably about right. On the graduate school plan that sounds good to me, especially if your company paying for it.

What are the benefits like?

Pretty good: vision,dental, medical, 401k matching, etc. The medical is 20ish per paycheck which I thought was a lot but, I don't really know if that's true or not

I think a few useful questions would be whether you're a physics grad or cs grad and is this position with a financial firm(considering Charlotte is known to be a huge finance hub in the southeast)

Not bad for the area. Not sure what the job market is like in that area currently, but if it is an area you want to live in probably worth pursuing.

Another nice option is to see if they have option for tuition assistance (or try to negotiate for it). I had my MS paid for by my company and the company was flexible if I needed to take classes during the day.

One question. If you work 60 hours some week getting a piece of software out the door, will you:

(1) Get paid for 60 hours @ $25/hour
(2) Get paid for 40 hours @ $25/hour even though you worked 60?
(3) Get paid for 40 hours @ $25/hour + 20 hours @ $37.50/hour (time and 1/2) as per US hourly wage laws?

This can make a big difference. My experience is that software is rarely a 40 hour/week job.

There are several advantages to working while you learn...

you find out what you like to do and what you don't,
company pays for your education,
you EARN while you learn and get practical experience,
Networking with people in the work world [as well as school] can be very beneficial.

On the downside,
working AND going to school can be demanding,
it takes longer to get your degree,
you don't get much in the way of weekends off.

I'd not worry too much about whether or not the money is
great or just competitive...the experience and job content is
what matters...

silverct9a said:
I think a few useful questions would be whether you're a physics grad or cs grad and is this position with a financial firm(considering Charlotte is known to be a huge finance hub in the southeast)

I have my bachelors in computer science and math

Floid said:
Not bad for the area. Not sure what the job market is like in that area currently, but if it is an area you want to live in probably worth pursuing.

Another nice option is to see if they have option for tuition assistance (or try to negotiate for it). I had my MS paid for by my company and the company was flexible if I needed to take classes during the day.

Well they have something called tuition reimbursement and it has to be a program that is approved. Hopefully i could convince them that computational math is beneficial to me and my performance with the company.

phyzguy said:
One question. If you work 60 hours some week getting a piece of software out the door, will you:

(1) Get paid for 60 hours @ $25/hour
(2) Get paid for 40 hours @ $25/hour even though you worked 60?
(3) Get paid for 40 hours @ $25/hour + 20 hours @ $37.50/hour (time and 1/2) as per US hourly wage laws?

This can make a big difference. My experience is that software is rarely a 40 hour/week job.

Option 3.

Naty1 said:
There are several advantages to working while you learn...

you find out what you like to do and what you don't,
company pays for your education,
you EARN while you learn and get practical experience,
Networking with people in the work world [as well as school] can be very beneficial.

On the downside,
working AND going to school can be demanding,
it takes longer to get your degree,
you don't get much in the way of weekends off.

I'd not worry too much about whether or not the money is
great or just competitive...the experience and job content is
what matters...

I'm not sure if i can handle a full time job AND graduate classes but, I'm going to try my hardest. A friend of mine just got accepted into a phD program and has tuition covered 100% + medical insurance but, he only makes 16k a year to live off of. I don't know that i can - or want - to live like that.

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good plan. You'll be making good money with benefits, and get your MS paid for as well. There's no tearing hurry to finish the MS, so you can take courses at a rate you can handle. This way you'll be getting the advanced degree and getting practical experience at the same time. I'd say go for it.

phyzguy said:
(3) Get paid for 40 hours @ $25/hour + 20 hours @ $37.50/hour (time and 1/2) as per US hourly wage laws?.

"US hourly wage laws", by which I assume you mean FLSA, do not require this. $25/hour passes the salary test, and programming requires "advanced knowledge"

trickslapper said:
Pretty good: vision,dental, medical, 401k matching, etc. The medical is 20ish per paycheck which I thought was a lot but, I don't really know if that's true or not

$20 per paycheck is not a lot unless you're getting paid weekly. You could ask what the employer portion of the contribution is, but it probably isn't worth it.

My opinion is that this is good entry level compensation for someone with a BS.

trickslapper said:
So my plan if i took this offer would be to attend graduate school part-time while i gain practical experience.

Grad school is not a part-time thing. Decide on one or the other.

A lot of people do MBA's part time and despite the impression of MBA's it still is considered grad school.

If he means a science phD that's another matter.

A MS in computational math can be done part time. In fact there are a lot of programs geared toward working people.

To the OP, the salary sounds fine. I would also look into the company itself. Is it the kind of place you want to be at?

I have a few former classmates who went the programmer route and $52,000 is in line with what they were earning at their first jobs. I think that sounds like a reasonable offer.

Not to mention Charlotte is such a beautiful city and the area offers many things to do. Sounds like a nice place to get your feet wet.

bcrowell said:
Grad school is not a part-time thing. Decide on one or the other.

Get out of town. I know plenty of people who did/are doing their MS part time. We can't all be privileged.

Locrian said:
$20 per paycheck is not a lot unless you're getting paid weekly. You could ask what the employer portion of the contribution is, but it probably isn't worth it.

My opinion is that this is good entry level compensation for someone with a BS.

I pay $155 USD every other week ... how am I doing? :sarcasm:

An additional consideration:
Start with school plus work, live frugally, change to full time school IF that suits you
better after you have saved some money and gained some experience.

You are NOT bethrothing yourself to this employer for the rest of your life nor are they to you!

Well thanks for all the information and advice guys. Even if it takes me a while i think i'll be able to earn my masters degree (if i can't, i'll just work for a while and save money before i go to school full time).

I went ahead and accepted the offer. I was holding out for a few more calls but, i haven't received too many of them.

Saladsamurai said:
I pay $155 USD every other week ... how am I doing? :sarcasm:

If you're young on a single contract (like trickslapper probably is), it's high. Depending on the State, you may have no other options. New York, for instance, is community rated.

If you're on a family contract then your rate is impacted by State regulations, size of group, benefit plan, rating methodology, and more (edit: tier level will have a big impact, should have included), so it is difficult to tell.

Evo said:
Median pay for Software developers with a BS is $90,530 per year. But not all companies pay the same, and different parts of the country are more expensive, so you should expect to get paid more than the median if you live in one of those areas.

And that 90k is for all experience levels, I believe, so entry level should expect significantly less.

Evo said:
Median pay for Software developers with a BS is $90,530 per year. But not all companies pay the same, and different parts of the country are more expensive, so you should expect to get paid more than the median if you live in one of those areas.

This website compiles data on jobs and pay, it's a good reference. It is the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Computer-and-Information-Technology/Software-developers.htm

Main site http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm
For entry level? I seriously doubt it

Locrian said:
If you're young on a single contract (like trickslapper probably is), it's high. Depending on the State, you may have no other options. New York, for instance, is community rated.

If you're on a family contract then your rate is impacted by State regulations, size of group, benefit plan, rating methodology, and more (edit: tier level will have a big impact, should have included), so it is difficult to tell.

Yeah, sorry. I was being a twit. I know it's high. I'm in Massachusetts. My girlfriend pays 10 USD per week since her employer covers 98%. Can't wait to get married!

Few comments:

I did my MSEE while working, wasn't too bad but I generally only took one class a semester. A PhD might be a completely different matter, but I don't think any MS is too hard to get while working. I would be surprised if computational math was not reimbursable, my company would pay for anything related to engineering, computer science, or math.

Your health insurance rate is really good. From the few places I have worked it is common to pay $100-200 a month single and $200-300 a month for family insurance even with company assistance.

The deal is even better if you actually get time and a half overtime. That is a really nice perk.

jk said:

It isnt. Thats the important distinction of that data set which is that it lumps in all people working who only have a BS whether they have 20yrs experience or 0.

jk said:
I thought they used to break down pay by brand new, and 5 years, it appears they may be averaging it all together. The information is taken from actual payrolls. The site has a wealth of information for job seekers.

Pay About this section
Software Developers
Median annual wages, May 2010

Software Developers, Systems Software $94,180
Software Developers $90,530
Software Developers, Applications $87,790
Total, All Occupations $33,840

Note: All Occupations includes all occupations in the U.S. Economy.

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics

The median annual wage of applications developers was $87,790 in May 2010. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than the amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $54,360, and the top 10 percent earned more than $133,110. The median annual wage of systems developers was $94,180 in May 2010. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $61,040, and the top 10 percent earned more than $143,330.

Most software developers work full time, and long hours are common. Nearly one-fourth worked more than 40 hours per week in 2010.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Computer-and-Information-Technology/Software-developers.htm#tab-5

It really would help knowing what percentage of all software developers were entry level (is it 10%?) and what the range of pay was across different cities and state. Averaging out all these variables (exp level/location) makes it hard to compare to one number in one city/state like NC.glassdoor allows you to account for some of these variables by searching for positions in the exp level and city that seems relevant

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm

Well I've asked some of my friends that i went to school with what they thought about my offer. All of them were surprised and thought it was a good offer. I feel better about taking this offer after this thread and talking to my classmates.
thanks again everyone