Am I in the Future? Time-Travel Mystery Explained

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary: Don't worry, you're just traveling on a closed timelike curve.In summary, the conversation touches on the concept of time travel and the possibility of being in a closed timelike curve, which could explain the feeling of déjà vu. The discussion also mentions the use of a 24-hour time system and the difficulty of filling out Nobel Prize application forms.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I just noticed from a top right corner of posts that a question was asked today at 12.22 AM and I replied at 11.45 AM. Did I travel to the future? Or am I just prescient? Has relativity been disproved? I should think about this some more but just in case the universe ends 15 minutes from now I thought I should get this in first.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, but you could be in the Matrix.

Ah, time doesn't exist anyway.

Read Wheeler-Dewitt equation.

Don't worry, you're just traveling on a closed timelike curve.

Last edited:
micromass said:

I do sometimes get a déjà vu feeling.

Aha but that would not happen on a closed curve, the déjà would not be vu, not vu as déjà. It would have to be the horseshoe map always going close to the same points or something.

Where can you get forms to apply for a Nobel Prize?

micromass said:

Micromass! Me too.
faint2.gif

A 24h-time would solve that. Or at least a logical way to write down times from 0:00 to 1:00 and from 12:00 to 13:00.

11:30 pm -> 12:30 am -> 1:30 am. Completely logical!

1. What is time-travel and is it possible?

Time-travel is the concept of moving between different points in time. While it is a popular topic in science fiction, currently it is not possible for humans to travel through time.

2. How do we know if we are in the future?

We can tell that we are in the future by looking at the current date and time. As time progresses, we move further into the future.

3. Can we prove that time-travel exists?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence or proof that time-travel exists. It is still a theoretical concept that is being studied and researched by scientists.

4. Is it possible to change the past or future through time-travel?

The concept of changing the past or future through time-travel is a popular one in science fiction, but according to current scientific understanding, it is not possible. The idea of changing the past goes against the law of causality, which states that an effect must always follow its cause.

5. How does time-travel impact the concept of parallel universes?

Some theories of time-travel suggest that it could lead to the creation of parallel universes, where different versions of events and outcomes exist. However, this is still a highly debated topic among scientists and is not yet proven.