Graph of 1/R against E/V

• Thread starter Tangent100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the graph is a line with a gradient of 8.6, which tells you that the slope is -0.30/0.035. This equation relates the y-value to the x-value, and the c-value (emf) to the y-value.
Tangent100
Can someone explain to me the concept of this graph and how it works with relation to y = mx + c ?
Usually the gradient is something simple but this time I have no idea... Also, the c intercept, what is the c intercept? As far as I am concerned it is 1 but what does the fact it is 1 mean,... surely it is emf / emf so can I just say it is emf or what do i say.

I know I am asking about the answers, but hints are also welcome and some analysis/ evaluation in regard to this graph?

I am doing A-Level Physics.

Thank you for all the help you can give me :thumbs:

Physics news on Phys.org
"This graph" is not a helpful phrase. It would be useful it you had posted the graph you are talking about.

I'm a bit puzzled but perhaps it's because you are, I think, in Great Britain and I don't know the school system there. I would take "A level Physics" to mean at least the equivalent of high school physics here in the US and I don't think you can get that far without understanding the graph of a line. It would have been helpful had you said a bit more about where you are, but again, I guess "A Level Physics" is well understood where you are as as indication of your level in school.

ANYWAY ...

for the equation y = mx + c

When you set x to zero, what's the value of Y? How does that relate to where the graph intercepts the Y axis?

if you go over one unit in the X direction, how many units have you gone UP in the Y direction? How do those two numbers relate to the slope (what you are calling the gradient) of the line?

I don't see any graphs

phinds said:
I'm a bit puzzled but perhaps it's because you are, I think, in Great Britain and I don't know the school system there. I would take "A level Physics" to mean at least the equivalent of high school physics here in the US and I don't think you can get that far without understanding the graph of a line. It would have been helpful had you said a bit more about where you are, but again, I guess "A Level Physics" is well understood where you are as as indication of your level in school.
For the benefit of non-UK readers, A-Level courses are typically 2-year courses taken by 16-18 year-olds, just before university.

We definitely need to see "this graph" before we can go any further.

Untitled.jpg
Is what I plotted in class but I don't have the original one so this is from memory.

Tangent100 said:
Untitled.jpg

Is what I plotted in class but I don't have the original one so this is from memory.

OK. Now go back and read post #2. What do you know?

phinds said:
OK. Now go back and read post #2. What do you know?

c is 1 so intercept is 1.
Gradient is 8.6. (0.30/0.035)
So y = 8.6x + 1

But what does that tell me in general, what is this equation for when it comes to the physics side of it. Like e.g. V = E - Ir and so V = -rI + E if we look at y = mx + c of a E against I graph.

What I am trying to find out is the equation that my values could possibly relate to such that I know what the gradient tell me (in the example above it tell me r), what y tells me (V in example above) and that c tells me (Emf in the example above). So that I can predict what section 3 of my test (this is section 2) could possibly be about.

Gradient is E/V over 1/R but what does that tell me... Like in a velocity time graph the gradient would be acceleration.

Tangent100 said:
So y = 8.6x + 1
OK, but your graph isn't y against x, it's E/V against 1/R. So you should be able to write down an equation which includes E, R, V, 8.6 and 1.

You can write Ohm's law in a form that fits the variables on the graph (E/V and 1/R).
You just need to eliminate the current (I) and rearrange a little.
Can you write I in terms of V and R? Then plug into E=V+Ir.

DrGreg said:
OK, but your graph isn't y against x, it's E/V against 1/R. So you should be able to write down an equation which includes E, R, V, 8.6 and 1.

Okay so... E/V = 8.6 x 1/R + 1
I am not very sure, but if I look at this and E = IR + Ir, does this mean, because there is negligible internal resistance, that 1 = Ir? But then what about 8.6 x 1/R... How does that become IR and how does E/V become just E?

I tried this: E/V = 8.6 x 1/R + 1
E/V = 8.6/R +1
E/V = 8.6/(I/V) +1 'Because R = I/V
E/V = 8.6I/V + 1

The Vs then cancel out if I times everything by V but the +1 just ruins everything because it means that the equation becomes

E = 8.6I + 1/V

So I'm still stuck... If I had to take a quess I'd say 8.6 is the current but that's just guessing, I don't understand anything :frown:

nasu said:
You can write Ohm's law in a form that fits the variables on the graph (E/V and 1/R).
You just need to eliminate the current (I) and rearrange a little.
Can you write I in terms of V and R? Then plug into E=V+Ir.

Where do I need to eliminate the current there is no current in my equation.
When I plug I = RV, I just get E = V + RVr... did you mean something else?

:cry:

Could please someone help me? I really don't know what the gradient tells me nor nothing...

Tangent100 said:
Could please someone help me? I really don't know what the gradient tells me nor nothing...
Did you get this graph by fitting data that you obtained from measurements?

If so, which quantities did you measure/control -- and how did you accomplish that? Which quantities are you trying to determine?

From the replies of DrGreg & phinds, and from the expression you're somewhat trying to match (## E = IR + Ir \ ## or one of the others) we can sort of guess what you're trying to do.

Please give more details if you want more help.

SammyS said:
Did you get this graph by fitting data that you obtained from measurements?

If so, which quantities did you measure/control -- and how did you accomplish that? Which quantities are you trying to determine?

From the replies of DrGreg & phinds, and from the expression you're somewhat trying to match (## E = IR + Ir \ ## or one of the others) we can sort of guess what you're trying to do.

Please give more details if you want more help.

What I am trying to do is analyse the graph, because the next section of test will be about analysing our measurements. Things like how does this graph relate to y = mx + c are common questions. So I am trying to quess what kind of questions could come up on the test, such as what does the gradient of this graph tells me. Besically pre predicting the questions they could ask me...

This graph was plotted from results I've obtained in an experiment. Emf was controlled, I've been changing the resistance and calculating the pd on the volt meter and so R is the independent and V was my dependent variable.

Tangent100 said:
What I am trying to do is analyse the graph, because the next section of test will be about analysing our measurements. Things like how does this graph relate to y = mx + c are common questions. So I'm trying to guess what kind of questions could come up on the test, such as what does the gradient of this graph tells me. Basically predicting the questions they could ask me...

This graph was plotted from results I've obtained in an experiment. Emf was controlled, I've been changing the resistance and calculating the pd on the volt meter and so R is the independent and V was my dependent variable.
What is r (lower case R) ?

That is somewhat better a description, but still some guessing remains.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You had an ideal voltage source with a very reliable output of E volts. -- This is the EMF.

You had some small resistance, r, in series with that. You measured (not calculated) the voltage, V, across that series combination. Right ?

You then had some variable resistance, or a set of known resistances which were in series with the previously described combination. This resistance you called R. Right?

You may have calculated E/V . Graphing E/V versus 1/R gave you a linear plot of the form

y = mx + b,

Where y is E/V and x is 1/R .

So, I suppose you are trying to determine how m and b are related to the quantities in the circuit. Is that the issue here ?

SammyS said:
What is r (lower case R) ?

That is somewhat better a description, but still some guessing remains.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You had an ideal voltage source with a very reliable output of E volts. -- This is the EMF.

You had some small resistance, r, in series with that. You measured (not calculated) the voltage, V, across that series combination. Right ?

You then had some variable resistance, or a set of known resistances which were in series with the previously described combination. This resistance you called R. Right?

You may have calculated E/V . Graphing E/V versus 1/R gave you a linear plot of the form

y = mx + b,

Where y is E/V and x is 1/R .

So, I suppose you are trying to determine how m and b are related to the quantities in the circuit. Is that the issue here ?

Yes that's pretty much it. I had 3 resistors in series and I am guessing the internal resistance was negligible since I had nothing for that... I knew the resistance of all 3 resistors, but I was asked to get results for all possible values of R and so I tried singualr resistances, 2 resistance and all 3. I also got the emf before that to be 1.616.

Tangent100 said:
Yes that's pretty much it. I had 3 resistors in series and I am guessing the internal resistance was negligible since I had nothing for that... I knew the resistance of all 3 resistors, but I was asked to get results for all possible values of R and so I tried singualr resistances, 2 resistance and all 3. I also got the emf before that to be 1.616.
How is your EMF any different from your V ?

How did you determine each ?

SammyS said:
How is your EMF any different from your V ?

How did you determine each ?

Emf was calculated without the resistors in circuit. Then the circuit switch was placed on and the current had to pass through resistors. The voltage was then measured with a volt meter attached in parallel, and so it decreased as more energy was lost through the resistors, depending on what resistors were in the circuit at that instance, so R1,R2,R3,R1+R2,R1+R3,... and so on.
Untitled.jpg

Tangent100 said:
Emf was calculated without the resistors in circuit. Then the circuit switch was placed on and the current had to pass through resistors. The voltage was then measured with a volt meter attached in parallel, and so it decreased as more energy was lost through the resistors, depending on what resistors were in the circuit at that instance, so R1,R2,R3,R1+R2,R1+R3,... and so on.
Untitled.jpg
OK.

Now it's making more sense.

I'll try to get back to this soon. In the meantime, someone else may jump in.

In your circuit, the battery itself is usually modeled as an ideal voltage source providing emf, E, in series with a resistor, having (usually small) resistance, r.

Thus the equation:
E = IR + Ir​

The R is whatever you used, R1, R2 , ... , R2 + R3, ...

Yh i have my test tomorrow on the 7th May. AQA Physics Unit 03X task 3.

Take ## \ E=IR+Ir \ ## and divide by ##\ IR\ .##

SammyS said:
Take ## \ E=IR+Ir \ ## and divide by ##\ IR\ .##

Oh my... that would mean the gradient is internal resistance, could someone check if what I done here is correct?

2014_05_07_11_15_16.png

Yes, the slope of the curve is the internal resistance.

Tangent100 said:
Oh my... that would mean the gradient is internal resistance, could someone check if what I done here is correct?

[ Img]http://s24.postimg.org/ro4owqox1/2014_05_07_11_15_16.png[/PLAIN]
Yes, that's it.It strikes me as kind of a strange way to combine two (or is it three?) very common quantities.

Substituting in other orders can make it very difficult to see this result.

No. I don't believe you can deduce the internal resistance from that gradient.

gradient = EMF/V by 1/R

(IR + Ir) / IR = 1 + r/R

(1 + r/R) x R = R+r

given the gradient is a constant, however the sum of the two resisitances (R+r) the total resistance of the circuit is not constant. I don't see how this can be accurate?

peterspencers said:
No. I don't believe you can deduce the internal resistance from that gradient.

gradient = EMF/V by 1/R

(IR + Ir) / IR = 1 + r/R

(1 + r/R) x R = R+r

given the gradient is a constant, however the sum of the two resisitances (R+r) the total resistance of the circuit is not constant. I don't see how this can be accurate?

What would be changing?
Given that 'internal resistance' is not Ohmic over the whole range of currents, it is considered to be, in most situations. When it isn't, you don't get a straight line graph.

Likes 1 person
your right I am completely wrong, I took the same exam today, luckily I realized before I answered the question.

I couldn't see that all you needed to do was factor out the 1/R as x

1. What is a "Graph of 1/R against E/V"?

A "Graph of 1/R against E/V" is a graphical representation of the relationship between resistance (R) and voltage (V) in an electrical circuit. In this graph, the inverse of resistance (1/R) is plotted against the voltage (E/V) to show how the resistance changes with varying voltage levels.

2. How is the data for a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" collected?

The data for a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" is collected by measuring the voltage and current values at different points in an electrical circuit. The inverse of the resistance is then calculated by dividing the voltage by the current and plotted against the voltage values to create the graph.

3. What is the significance of a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" in electrical engineering?

A "Graph of 1/R against E/V" is significant in electrical engineering as it helps to analyze the behavior of a circuit and understand the relationship between resistance and voltage. It also allows engineers to identify any potential issues or inefficiencies in the circuit and make necessary adjustments.

4. How does the slope of a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" relate to the resistance of a circuit?

The slope of a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" is directly proportional to the resistance of a circuit. A steeper slope indicates a higher resistance, while a flatter slope indicates a lower resistance. This relationship is known as Ohm's law, which states that the resistance of a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

5. Can a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" be used to predict the behavior of a circuit at different voltage levels?

Yes, a "Graph of 1/R against E/V" can be used to predict the behavior of a circuit at different voltage levels. By analyzing the slope of the graph and the relationship between resistance and voltage, engineers can make predictions about the performance of the circuit and determine the optimal voltage levels for different applications.