A 10-Pound Bag of Ice and Cooling Room Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving using a 10 pound bag of ice to cool a room by 14 degrees Fahrenheit. The calculation seems reasonable, but there are many factors that were not taken into account, such as forced convection and the thermal mass of the room. The conversation also mentions the definition of a ton in the context of air conditioning and the potential cooling capacity of melting ice. Overall, it is concluded that while the idea may work in theory, it would not be practical in reality due to the limitations of the experiment.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Our air conditioner has broken so i was bored and started thinken about something.

I calculated that a 10 pound bag of ice will cool my room (which i figured is about 4500 ft^3... yah... i love my room lol) from about 86 freaken degrees! to about 72 degrees fahrenheit. In my calculations i used the specific heat of dry air by the way :-/... but this is more of a excercise then hoping for a real world solution. Anyhow, does that 14 degree drop seem reasonable?? Not looking for an exact figure or anything because i know there's too many things going on for that that i couldn't account for... just wondering if it sounds reasonable.

Physics news on Phys.org
That delta T seems very high to me, especially without any forced convection. A 10 pound bag of ice is only a couple of bucks. Why not do an experiment?

Looks resonable! [tex]L_{ice} >> c_{air}[/tex]

FredGarvin said:
That delta T seems very high to me, especially without any forced convection. A 10 pound bag of ice is only a couple of bucks. Why not do an experiment?

It wouldn't work in practice because the ice needs time to melt and meanwhile hot air and radiation come continuously from outside.

Yah there's a lot that wasnt taken into account... it was just a thought experiment to say the least. I might put a big block right next to me though and see if it'll just cool me down lol

ramollari said:
It wouldn't work in practice because the ice needs time to melt and meanwhile hot air and radiation come continuously from outside.
True...

However, the calculation itself looks sound: it just takes into account the static situation the ice absorbs heat from the air - in a perfectly insulated room.

Just to make sure, you did add both the heat absorbed by melting the ice and the heat absorbed by heating the water from 32F to 72F, right?

Little random, useless tidbit - the cooling capacity of air conditioners is measured in "tons" which is actually referring to tons of ice, used in springhouses. Someone (maybe Fred) said recently that that's the rate of cooling provided by melting a ton of ice in a day, but I thought it was a longer timeframe. I guess I could calculate it if I wasn't so damn lazy...

Yah i added in the melting water along with it heating up to ambient... air conditioners worken now i think so I am happy though :D

One ton = 288,000 btu/day which is approximately the heat of fusion of 1 ton of ice at 32°F

Fred is right about the definition of Ton(actually TR-Ton Refrigeration).

You can extract about 184 btu per pound of ice(144btu/pound latent and 40btu/pound sensible heat). So this will aproximately reduce the room temperature by 22.71F(184*10 = 0.075*4500*0.24*dT)

But the average heat load for a residential building will be 1ton/450 sq.ft so considering a 10ft. height room, you have to remove heat at the rate of 12000btu/hr.
The melting ice can provide you comfort for approximately (1840/12000)*60 = 9.2 minutes.

The calculation sounds about right. The problem with actually doing this in a room is the large amount of thermal mass in the room. All the furniture, walls, everything in the room will also reject heat to the air. Because of the huge surface area, that heat rejection is relatively efficient - the heat from the room/objects in the room can overcome the cooling of the ice very easily.

Note: The thermal mass of the room/objects is a transient which is different from the steady state heat transfer. You won't get much heat transfer from the environment until you cool down the thermal mass of the room/objects.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of using a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature?

The purpose of using a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature is to lower the temperature of the room quickly. Ice has a lower temperature than room temperature, so when placed in the room, it absorbs heat from the surrounding air, causing the room temperature to decrease.

How long does it take for a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature?

The time it takes for a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature depends on factors such as the initial temperature of the room, the insulation of the room, and the type of ice used. Generally, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for a 10-pound bag of ice to cool a room.

Can a 10-pound bag of ice be used multiple times to cool room temperature?

Yes, a 10-pound bag of ice can be used multiple times to cool room temperature. However, each time it is used, it will have less cooling capacity as some of the ice will have melted. It is recommended to use fresh ice for each cooling session.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using a 10-pound bag of ice to cool room temperature. Make sure to handle the ice with gloves or a towel, as it can be very cold and cause frostbite. Also, be careful not to slip on any melted ice on the floor.

What are some alternative methods for cooling room temperature besides using a 10-pound bag of ice?

There are several alternative methods for cooling room temperature, such as using a fan, opening windows to let in cool air, using a portable air conditioner, or turning on the central air conditioning system. These methods may be more efficient and convenient than using a 10-pound bag of ice.