Quantum Gravity with a Positive Cosmological Constant

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding the constants in a paper on quantum gravity and is wondering if there are any errors or differences in normalization conventions. They have gone through the calculations multiple times but are still experiencing discrepancies. They are also open to reaching out to the author or other experts for further insights.
jamso
Hi,
I have been reading the paper "Quantum Gravity with a Positive Cosmological Constant" by Lee Smolin (http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0209079), and am having some trouble making the constants in Part I, Sections 2, 3, and 4 match with what I would calculate them to be when I try to go through the derivations for myself. I wondered if anyone else has gone through these derivations and knows if there are typos or maybe a different normalization convention for Levi-Civita symbol than what I am used to (+-1), or if I am making some mistake? Please help! I have gone through the calculations several times and am not sure what is going wrong.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
Thank you for bringing up this paper and your concerns about the constants in Parts I, Sections 2, 3, and 4. I understand the importance of accurately representing and understanding the equations and constants in a paper. I have not personally gone through the derivations in this paper, but I will definitely take a closer look and see if I can offer any insights or potential explanations for the discrepancies you are experiencing. In the meantime, it may be helpful to reach out to the author of the paper or other experts in the field to see if they have any insights or have encountered similar issues. I wish you the best of luck in your calculations and hope that we can work together to better understand this paper. Thank you for your contribution to the scientific community.

Hello,
I have also read the paper and have gone through the derivations myself. I did not encounter any typos or errors in the calculations, but it is possible that there may be a difference in normalization conventions. I suggest reaching out to the author, Lee Smolin, for clarification on any specific calculations that you are having trouble with. Additionally, you may want to consult other sources or textbooks on quantum gravity to compare the results and see if there are any discrepancies. Good luck with your research!

1. What is quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant?

Quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics by incorporating the concept of a positive cosmological constant, which represents a repulsive force that counteracts the attractive force of gravity at large scales.

2. Why is quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant important?

This framework is important because it aims to provide a unified understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe, including gravity, at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels. It also has implications for our understanding of the early universe and the nature of dark energy.

3. How does quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant differs from other theories in that it incorporates the concept of a cosmological constant, which is not included in other theories such as string theory or loop quantum gravity. It also takes into account the effects of quantum mechanics on the fabric of space-time.

4. Are there any experimental or observational evidence for quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant?

Currently, there is no direct experimental or observational evidence for this particular framework. However, it is consistent with existing observations of the expansion of the universe and could potentially be tested in the future through experiments or observations of the early universe.

5. What are the challenges in developing a complete theory of quantum gravity with a positive cosmological constant?

One of the main challenges is that this framework is still largely theoretical and has not been fully developed or tested. It also requires a deep understanding of both quantum mechanics and general relativity, which are two of the most complex and successful theories in physics. Additionally, it is difficult to reconcile with other theories of quantum gravity, and there is no consensus on which approach is the most promising.