Fixing Old Dishwasher Motor - Starting Capacitors Needed?

• Thread starter Shawnzyoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the conversation discusses finding and scrapping an old dishwasher for parts. The main focus is on the big motor at the bottom, which works but requires a twist to get it going. The question is whether a starting capacitor should be added to give it a kick. Suggestions are given to contact the manufacturer, do research, or ask for help from a community. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about being a good candidate for a TV show.
Shawnzyoo
I found an old dishwasher on the side of the road one night, and naturally i jumped out and scrapped it for parts.

The big motor that sits on the bottom works
My question is for the motor to turn i have to give it a twist to get going and then it turns fine.

I think I need to put on some sort of starting capacitors to give it a kick right?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some motors have starting windings that get switch out of the circuit once running. Not sure if yours works that way. If so, that might be the reason it was on the side of the road.

From all the dishwashers I've repaired, in all that time I can't remember one ever having a capacitor. The things are so small, I don't think they're needed.

You could

1) try and contact the place that made the dishwasher and see what they say,

2) do a search on the part number and make,

3) contact Wilmar (1.800.345.3000) to see if they can find schematics and replacement parts

4) post photos of your motor here to see if someone recognizes it...

:)

May be some lubrication can work...

Shawnzyoo said:
I found an old dishwasher on the side of the road one night, and naturally i jumped out and scrapped it for parts.

The big motor that sits on the bottom works
My question is for the motor to turn i have to give it a twist to get going and then it turns fine.

I think I need to put on some sort of starting capacitors to give it a kick right?

thanks

You sound like you should be on that junkyard wars show lol.

You need a starting capacitor.

1. How do I know if my dishwasher motor needs fixing?

There are a few signs that may indicate your dishwasher motor needs fixing, such as the dishwasher not turning on, making strange noises, or not completing cycles. If you notice any of these issues, it is best to check the motor first before assuming it needs to be replaced.

2. What is the purpose of a starting capacitor in a dishwasher motor?

The starting capacitor is responsible for providing the initial electrical jolt needed to start the motor. It helps the motor overcome its inertia and get the rotor turning. Without a functioning starting capacitor, the motor may not be able to start at all.

3. How can I test if my dishwasher motor starting capacitor is faulty?

You can use a multimeter to test the starting capacitor for continuity or check if it is holding a charge. If it fails these tests, it is likely that the capacitor is faulty and needs to be replaced.

4. Can I replace the starting capacitor in my dishwasher motor myself?

If you have some knowledge and experience with electrical components, you may be able to replace the starting capacitor yourself. However, it is always recommended to consult a professional to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential safety hazards.

5. How often do starting capacitors in dishwasher motors need to be replaced?

The lifespan of a starting capacitor can vary depending on usage and other factors. However, on average, they can last anywhere from 5-10 years. If you notice any issues with your dishwasher motor, it is best to check the starting capacitor first before assuming it needs to be replaced.