Brain scans might be better lie detectors

In summary, the device measures brain activity in order to determine whether someone is lying or not. It has not been shown scientifically that people are capable of controlling their brain activity when meditating, and people who truly believe what they are saying may not be lying. However, the device may not be able to determine whether someone is lying or not, as it would only be able to detect brain activity patterns.
Lisa!
Gold Member
http://www.livescience.com/041129_lie_detection.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
That's interesting. Hasn't it been shown scientifically though that people are capable of controling their brain activity when meditating? And what about people who truly believe what they are saying even if they are lying? I don't think that this device would help with that would it?

TheStatutoryApe said:
That's interesting. Hasn't it been shown scientifically though that people are capable of controling their brain activity when meditating? And what about people who truly believe what they are saying even if they are lying? I don't think that this device would help with that would it?
I don't know. The only thing I know is, I usually don't need a lie detector to know whether someone's lying or not. I just look at people's eyes and well it's clear. Of course I should say fortunately people around me aren't professional liars like politicians or criminals! :tongue:

Lisa! said:
I don't know. The only thing I know is, I usually don't need a lie detector to know whether someone's lying or not. I just look at people's eyes and well it's clear. Of course I should say fortunately people around me aren't professional liars like politicians or criminals! :tongue:

Let's hope you never run into a smooth talking sociopath.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I don't know about meditation, though I'd expect even that would show up as a characteristic pattern of activity if it were studied (I don't know if it has or hasn't...just a guess here), and while it might not show if someone was being truthful, if you could tell they were doing something that altered their brain activity patterns, you could at least count the results as inconclusive.

As for someone believing a lie, that's not so much being untruthful as delusional and would be more of a pathology than just lying.

I wonder if it would also make a difference how well rehearsed a lie is. If you're fabricating a story while the recording is done, I would think it would show up as a different activity pattern than if you've committed a lie to memory through much repetition so that you use a different part of your brain to recall the lie rather than to actively fabricate it. Or what if you mix in partial lies and partial truths...an embelleshment rather than a total lie.

Nonetheless, I would think it would have more promise than a polygraph test.

I know that some of my friends and I agree that when we were kids and lied a lot we practically believed what it was that we were saying. I remember lying to my parents and genuinely breaking down in tears because they didn't believe me. I was a terrible little brat.
So I'm just wondering what difference something like that might make. Or even just a person who is mentally imbalanced.
Like you said it would probably be better than a polygraph at any rate.

By the way, congrats on your new Super Mentor status Moonie!

1. What is the purpose of brain scans as lie detectors?

Brain scans are used as lie detectors in order to measure and analyze the activity and responses in specific areas of the brain. This can help determine if someone is being truthful or deceptive in their statements.

2. How accurate are brain scans as lie detectors?

Studies have shown that brain scans can have an accuracy rate of up to 90% in detecting lies. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the individual being scanned and the specific techniques used.

3. What types of brain scans are commonly used as lie detectors?

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and Electroencephalography (EEG) are the most commonly used brain scans for lie detection purposes. These scans can measure brain activity and responses in real-time.

4. Are there any limitations to using brain scans as lie detectors?

While brain scans can be effective in detecting lies, there are limitations to their use. Factors such as individual differences in brain activity and the potential for manipulation of brain responses can impact the accuracy of the results.

5. How can brain scans as lie detectors be used in real-world situations?

Brain scans as lie detectors can potentially be used in various settings, such as criminal investigations and legal proceedings, to help determine the truthfulness of statements and gather evidence. However, their use must be carefully considered and ethical guidelines must be followed.