Enthelpy of Dissolution vs. Enthelpy of Solution

• Thread starter Wailing Fungus
  • Start date
In summary, the difference between enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution is that enthalpy of dissolution is the change in heat when a solute dissolves in a solvent, while enthalpy of solution is the heat change when one mole of solute is dissolved. The speaker is comparing their measured enthalpy of dissolution values to the values found in the CRC handbook and is confused by the discrepancy. They also mention that their reactions were endothermic but the enthalpies of dissolution were negative, and they question the relationship between enthalpy change and exothermicity. The equations used in their experiment are also provided.
Wailing Fungus
What is the difference between enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution?

I have a lab where I have to measure the change in enthalpy of dissolution of several salts in water. I found the change in enthalpy, however I am supposed to compare them with the real values. I looked in the CRC handbook and there was only a table with changes in enthalpies of solution, these were different values than the ones I got.

Another thing that I do not undestand is that my reactions were endothermic but my enthalpies of dissolution were all negative. Doesn't enthalpy change indicate if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic? Unless enthalpy of dissolution indicates something else. I used the following equations:

q = CdT where C is the calorimeter constant

then

dH = q / n where dH is the change in enthalpy of dissolution

Physics news on Phys.org
Negative values indicate a release of energy and exothermicity. Enthalpy of solution and dissolution are the same thing- heat change when one mole of solute dissolves

Are you serious?

No I'm lying.

You shouldn't lie Cesium, it's probably against some policy here. Hehe.

What is the difference between enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution?

The enthalpy of dissolution refers to the amount of heat released or absorbed when a solute dissolves in a solvent. On the other hand, enthalpy of solution is the change in enthalpy when a solute is dissolved in a specific amount of solvent.

How are enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution measured?

Both enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution are measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat transfer during a chemical process.

What factors affect the enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution?

The enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution are affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration, and the nature of the solute and solvent.

What is the significance of enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution in chemistry?

The enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution are important in determining the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction, which can provide insight into the stability and reactivity of a substance.

How does the enthalpy of dissolution and enthalpy of solution relate to each other?

The enthalpy of solution is the sum of the enthalpy of dissolution and the enthalpy of mixing, which takes into account the interactions between the solute and solvent molecules. Therefore, the enthalpy of solution is dependent on the enthalpy of dissolution.