Draw Incidence Angle of reflection

The normal would be the imaginary line drawn perpendicular to the barrier at the point of reflection.In summary, the problem presents a diagram with wavefronts hitting a reflective barrier. The task is to draw and label the incident ray, normal, reflected ray, angle of incidence, and angle of reflection. The wavefronts are perpendicular to the rays and have the same angles of incidence and reflection, with the normal being drawn perpendicular to the barrier at the point of reflection.
Aamun

Homework Statement

Look at the diagram. Draw the wavefronts as they would appear after the reflection. Draw and identify the following things on the diagram.

Incident ray
Normal
Reflected ray
Angle of Incidence
Angle of reflection

scan0007.jpg

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start, I don't quite understand the diagram. . if anyone can help with a starter, that would be great! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the lines are supposed to be the wavefronts. So they will hit the barrier, and some will transmit while others will reflect. I guess the barrier is supposed to be entirely reflective from the context of the problem, or you are supposed to ignore the transmittance, so make the wavefronts you would see if they were reflected.

This is really the most I can do for you because of the highly graphical nature of the problem.

if the lines given are wavefronts then the rays would be perpendicular to these lines

1. How do you draw the incidence angle of reflection?

To draw the incidence angle of reflection, you will need a protractor and a ruler. First, draw a line representing the incident ray and a perpendicular line representing the normal at the point of incidence. Then, use the protractor to measure the angle between the incident ray and the normal. Finally, draw a line from the point of incidence at the same angle on the opposite side of the normal to represent the reflected ray.

2. What is the relationship between the incidence angle and the reflection angle?

The reflection angle is always equal to the incidence angle. This is known as the law of reflection and is true for all types of surfaces, including flat, curved, and rough surfaces.

3. Can the incidence angle and reflection angle be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the incidence angle and reflection angle cannot be greater than 90 degrees. The incident ray and reflected ray must be on the same side of the normal, and a line cannot exceed 180 degrees.

4. What is the difference between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence is the angle between the incident ray and the normal, while the angle of reflection is the angle between the reflected ray and the normal. The two angles are equal in size but on opposite sides of the normal.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence directly affects the angle of reflection. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of reflection also increases. This means that the reflected ray will be closer to the normal if the incident ray is closer to the normal, and vice versa.