Positive or negative velocity and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a motion detector placed at the top of a ramp and a cart being pushed up the ramp towards the detector. The questions posed involve determining if the object is speeding up or slowing down, the direction and magnitude of its velocity, and if it has a constant acceleration. Confusion arises due to the direction convention used in the textbook, where "down" is considered negative and "up" is positive. The graphs from the motion detector show that the position is sloping down and the velocity is sloping up. Ultimately, the direction away from the motion detector is considered positive.
Leonhart

Homework Statement

A motion detector is placed on the top of a ramp sloping down. A cart is placed at the other end of the ramp (bottom of the ramp). The cart is pushed up the ramp towards the motion detector (top of ramp), and stopped at it's highest point.

Homework Equations

1. Is the object speeding up or slowing down?
2. Is the velocity of the object positive or negative?
3. Is the velocity getting more positive/less positive/more negative/less negative?
4. Does the object have a constant positive or negative acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. When we push the cart, it's speeding up, but it'll slow down over time because it's going up slope, so is it speeding up or slowing down?
2. I can't determine whether it's positive or negative because the cart is moving toward the motion detector, which would make it negative...right? But it's initial position is at the bottom of the ramp, which makes it negative.
#3 and #4 are the same as above. I can't tell which one is negative or positive.Also, the graphs from the motion detector shows:
Position vs. time: sloping down
Velocity vs. time: sloping up

I've tried to read the textbook, but I'm still confused. I know that direction of an object determine whether its velocity is negative or positive.
Up, right: positive.
Down, left: negative.
In the textbook, there's a chart like this:
Initial velocity--------------Accelearation-----------------Motion
(+)-------------------------(+)-------------------------speeding up
(-)-------------------------(-)--------------------------speeding up
(+)-------------------------(-)--------------------------slowing down
(-)-------------------------(+)--------------------------slowing down
(-)or(+)--------------------(0)--------------------------constant velocity
(0)-------------------------(-)or(+)---------------------speeding up from rest
(0)-------------------------(0)--------------------------remaining at rest

EDIT: Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Leonhart said:
Also, the graphs from the motion detector shows:
Position vs. time: sloping down
Velocity vs. time: sloping up

If you have these graphs, don't they indicate whether velocity etc. are positive or negative?

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to PF :smile:

If you have these graphs, don't they indicate whether velocity etc. are positive or negative?

Thank you for your answer, but I've already turned in and graded my lab. I kinda understand it now. The thing that messed me up is the direction.

In the textbook, it says "down" direction is negative, and "up" direction is positive. Since the detector is on top of the ramp, I would assume that the direction away from the detector, which is going DOWN the ramp is negative, but it turns out, AWAY from the detector is positive. >.<

Thanks for your answer. ^-^

1. What is the difference between positive and negative velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. Positive velocity indicates that an object is moving in the positive direction, while negative velocity indicates movement in the negative direction. The magnitude of the velocity represents the speed of the object.

2. How is positive acceleration different from negative acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Positive acceleration occurs when an object is speeding up in the positive direction, while negative acceleration occurs when an object is slowing down in the positive direction. The magnitude of acceleration represents how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

3. Can an object have a negative velocity and positive acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a negative velocity and positive acceleration. This means that the object is moving in the negative direction, but its speed is increasing. This could occur when an object is thrown upwards and is slowing down as it moves against the force of gravity.

4. How is velocity related to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are related because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that an object with a constant acceleration will have a steadily increasing or decreasing velocity. The direction of the acceleration will determine whether the velocity is positive or negative.

5. What are some real-life examples of positive and negative velocity and acceleration?

A car speeding up on a straight road has positive velocity and positive acceleration. A car braking to slow down at a stop sign has positive velocity and negative acceleration. A ball thrown upwards has negative velocity and positive acceleration, while a ball thrown downwards has positive velocity and negative acceleration.