Solve RLC Circuit w/Switch Homework Problem

In summary, at time t=0 the switch is closed, causing a sudden increase in current and voltage across the elements to the right of the switch.
phufool

Homework Statement

Provided in the picture below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I've done so far is use KVL to obtain Vc(t) +Vr(t) + Vo(t) = 1/2Vin(t).
Could someone tell me if I started this problem correctly? Would I just take the derivative of the equation next?

Attachments

• ECE #2.jpg
    ECE #2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
phufool said:

Homework Statement

Provided in the picture below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I've done so far is use KVL to obtain Vc(t) +Vr(t) + Vo(t) = 1/2Vin(t).
Could someone tell me if I started this problem correctly? Would I just take the derivative of the equation next?

Welcome to the PF. I think the input Vi is meant to have the value of 1/2V, but it's hard to tell for sure from the drawing.

And yes, writing the KVL around the loop is a good approach, but you need to use the differential equations that relate I and V for the capacitor and inductor. That's where you end up with one differential and one integral. And yes, you then differentiate that equation to get a 2nd order DE, which you then solve and apply the initial conditions to.

Thanks for the reply! And yes I think you're right, it is probably 1/2 V. So then the differential equation would look like: Vc(t) + VL(t) + Vo(t) = 1/2 .
Vo(t) = Ri(t)
VL(t) = Ldi(t)/dt
Vc(t) = 1/C integral from -infinity to t of i(a)da
So if I plug these into the equation and take the derivative, would I get:
1/C*i(t) + Ld^2i(t)/dt^t + Rdi(t)/dt = 0? So the 1/2 would just be irrelevant?

So for these C, L, and R variables, would I just substitute these for the numbers given in the problem? Say C = 1/2, L= 1/4, and R = 1?PS: Is there a program/website I can use to make these equations look nicer? I'm sure what I'm typing must be hard to read lol.

So I was hoping if someone could still help me with this equation?
From the above equation: 1/C*i(t) + Ld^2i(t)/dt^t + Rdi(t)/dt = 0?
Since i(t) = 1/R * Vo(t), I would substitue i(t) and the values of C, L and R and get:
1/4*d^2Vo(t)/dt + dVo(t)/dt + 2Vo(t) = 0
So I assume Vo(t) = Ae^st and get the roots: s = -2+-2i
Can anyone tell me what to do next or if I'm doing this correctly? Thanks

phufool said:
So I was hoping if someone could still help me with this equation?
From the above equation: 1/C*i(t) + Ld^2i(t)/dt^t + Rdi(t)/dt = 0?
Since i(t) = 1/R * Vo(t), I would substitue i(t) and the values of C, L and R and get:
1/4*d^2Vo(t)/dt + dVo(t)/dt + 2Vo(t) = 0
So I assume Vo(t) = Ae^st and get the roots: s = -2+-2i
Can anyone tell me what to do next or if I'm doing this correctly? Thanks

The response will be a damped sinusoid, so your exponential term should have both sigma and j*omege in it. Something like:

[tex]V_o(t) = A e^{B(\sigma + j\omega)}[/tex]

Use that, differentiate, substitute back, and apply initial conditions to solve for the constants.

Thanks so much! Now the trouble I'm having is knowing what are the initial conditions. I can't seem to understand it based on the circuit given. Do you think you could help explain it to me?

phufool said:
Thanks so much! Now the trouble I'm having is knowing what are the initial conditions. I can't seem to understand it based on the circuit given. Do you think you could help explain it to me?

Glad that helped. BTW, the coefficient B may just be 1, but I'm not sure. You should be able to tell as you apply the ICs.

At time t=0-, the switch is open, so there is zero current, and zero voltage across the elements to the right of the switch. At t=0, the switch is closed, so all of a sudden you have the supply voltage across the series RLC combination. That will let the current start to build, and the voltage division between those 3 components will start to change with time...

1. How do I approach solving an RLC circuit with a switch homework problem?

The first step in solving an RLC circuit with a switch problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Make note of any given values or conditions, and identify the unknown variables that need to be solved for. Then, use the appropriate equations and techniques to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What equations do I need to know to solve an RLC circuit with a switch problem?

The key equations for solving an RLC circuit with a switch problem are Kirchoff's laws, which state that the sum of currents entering and leaving a junction must be equal, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must also be equal. Additionally, you will need to know the equations for calculating resistance, capacitance, and inductance in a circuit.

3. How do I account for the switch in an RLC circuit when solving a problem?

The switch in an RLC circuit can be treated as a break in the circuit, causing the circuit to switch from one configuration to another. When solving a problem, you will need to take into account the effects of the switch on the circuit and use the appropriate equations to calculate values before and after the switch is closed.

4. Can I use a calculator or software to solve an RLC circuit with a switch problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator or software to help solve an RLC circuit with a switch problem. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and equations in order to accurately interpret and use the results provided by these tools.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving RLC circuit with a switch problems?

One common mistake to avoid when solving RLC circuit with a switch problems is forgetting to account for the initial conditions of the circuit. It is important to consider any given values or conditions at the start of the problem and use them in your calculations. Additionally, be careful with signs and units when using equations and make sure to double check your work for accuracy.