Prove that α+β is linearly independent.

So, if we assume that xδ+yη+zρ=0, then we can substitute δ, η, and ρ with the expressions given above (α+β, β+γ, γ+α). This results in x(α+β)+y(β+γ)+z(γ+α) = 0. Since α, β, and γ are linearly independent, we know that x, y, and z must equal 0, meaning that δ, η, and ρ are also linearly independent. Therefore, (α+β), (β+γ), and (γ+α) are linearly independent as well. In summary, we can prove that (α+β),
krozer

Homework Statement

Let F be a subset of the complex numbers. Let V be a vector space over F, and suppose α, β and γ are linearly independent vectors in V. Prove that (α+β), (β+γ) and (γ+α) are linearly independent.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

None.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

LCKurtz said:
What have you tried?

Given that α,β,ɣ are linearly independent then, if we have that

xα+yβ+zɣ=0 then x=y=z=0

Sup α+β=δ, β+γ=η and γ+α=ρ
How do I prove δ ,η and ρ are linearly independent?. But answering your question I'm trying to prove it with the Ʃ(cδ)=0 for all c in R.

krozer said:
Given that α,β,ɣ are linearly independent then, if we have that

xα+yβ+zɣ=0 then x=y=z=0

Sup α+β=δ, β+γ=η and γ+α=ρ
How do I prove δ ,η and ρ are linearly independent?.

So what happens if you have xδ+yη+zρ = 0? (Although why introduce new letters?)

LCKurtz said:
So what happens if you have xδ+yη+zρ = 0? (Although why introduce new letters?)

Ok, I think I know how to solve it.

What is the meaning of "linearly independent" in the context of α+β?

In linear algebra, a set of vectors is considered linearly independent if none of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant or can be removed without changing the span of the set.

Why is it important to prove that α+β is linearly independent?

Proving that α+β is linearly independent is important because it ensures that the vectors α and β are truly distinct and not simply multiples of each other. This is crucial for various applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of equations and calculating determinants and eigenvalues.

How do you prove that α+β is linearly independent?

To prove that α+β is linearly independent, one must show that the only way for the equation c1α + c2β = 0 to hold is if c1 = c2 = 0. This can be done through various methods, such as using the definition of linear independence or using the properties of determinants.

Can α and β be linearly independent if they are not orthogonal?

Yes, it is possible for α and β to be linearly independent even if they are not orthogonal. Orthogonality is just one condition that can contribute to linear independence, but it is not the only one. As long as α and β cannot be written as a linear combination of each other, they are considered linearly independent.

Is it possible for more than two vectors to be linearly independent?

Yes, it is possible for a set of more than two vectors to be linearly independent. In fact, any set of vectors that cannot be reduced to a linearly dependent set is considered linearly independent. This means that there can be any number of linearly independent vectors in a given set.