College Activities to help get a job in aerospace field

In summary, the conversation discussed ways to enhance a student's resume for internships and job opportunities in the aerospace engineering field. The experts suggested participating in extracurricular activities such as joining organizations like AIAA and FSAE, and taking advantage of opportunities like NASA-funded research projects. They also recommended participating in student design competitions like DBFC to showcase design skills and network with potential employers in the industry.
WannaBeME
Im currently in school pursuing a bs in mechanical engineering with an aerospace concentration, and after wanting to obtain my masters in aerospace engineering. Is there anything I can do while in school that would help my resume look better when finding internships, or a job after graduation? I briefly joined the fsae team but stopped due to being overwhelmed with school work and my job. I know NASA is funding something at my school for some kind of research for some material to be used in space would that be of any help? Any advice from you guys working for aerospace companies that will help me build my resume would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a word- extracurriculars! Whether it's AIAA or FSAE or a NASA grant or whatever. Working in a team-based environment with budgets, requirements, and deadlines will show how engineering processes are applied and will give you valuable team-building experience. Also, these clubs and organizations are usually backed by industry partners which are scouting for new hires. This will give you the chance to socialize with employers in industry.

Do participate in student design competitions like DBFC (Design, Build & Fly Competition). A good performance is an indicator of the fact you can design things and make them work

As a fellow scientist in the aerospace field, I can understand your eagerness to gain experience and build your resume while still in school. There are definitely activities and opportunities that can help you stand out to potential employers in the aerospace industry.

Firstly, I would highly recommend getting involved in research projects at your school, especially those related to aerospace engineering. This will not only provide you with hands-on experience and knowledge, but also give you the opportunity to network with professors and researchers in the field. Additionally, participating in research projects can also lead to publications and presentations, which are highly valued by employers.

Another valuable activity is participating in internships or co-op programs. This will not only give you practical experience in the industry, but also allow you to make connections and potentially secure a job after graduation. It's important to start looking for internships early and apply to a variety of companies, including those in the aerospace industry.

You mentioned briefly joining the fsae team, and while it's understandable that school and work can be overwhelming, I would encourage you to try and find a balance between your academics and extracurricular activities. Being a part of a student design team, such as fsae, can demonstrate your passion for the field and your ability to work in a team, both of which are important qualities for employers.

In terms of the NASA-funded research at your school, I would definitely recommend getting involved if possible. This will not only give you valuable experience in a specific area of aerospace engineering, but also demonstrate your interest and commitment to the industry.

Lastly, my advice would be to continuously seek out learning opportunities, whether it's through workshops, seminars, or online courses. The aerospace industry is constantly evolving and it's important to stay updated on new technologies and techniques.

Overall, my advice would be to gain as much experience and knowledge as you can while in school, and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Best of luck in your studies and future career in the aerospace field!

1. What types of college activities should I participate in to help me get a job in the aerospace field?

Participating in activities such as aerospace clubs, engineering teams, and internships can greatly enhance your chances of getting a job in the aerospace field. These activities allow you to gain practical experience, network with professionals, and showcase your skills and knowledge.

2. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that employers in the aerospace field look for?

Employers in the aerospace field typically look for candidates with a strong foundation in math and science, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, having experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of industry-specific regulations and standards can also make you a more competitive candidate.

3. Can participating in extracurricular activities really make a difference in my job prospects?

Yes, participating in extracurricular activities can make a significant difference in your job prospects. These activities not only allow you to gain valuable skills and experience, but they also demonstrate your dedication and passion for the field to potential employers.

4. Are there any specific aerospace-related organizations or clubs that I should join in college?

There are various organizations and clubs that you can join in college to help you get a job in the aerospace field. Some examples include the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), and National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).

5. Is it necessary to have an internship in the aerospace industry to get a job?

While having an internship in the aerospace industry can greatly enhance your job prospects, it is not necessarily a requirement. However, having some form of hands-on experience in the field, whether through internships, research projects, or engineering teams, can make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities in the aerospace field.