All bones in human body are equal in strength.

In summary, the femur is generally considered to be the longest, strongest, and heaviest bone in the human body. However, under certain circumstances such as intense mechanical stress or atrophy, other bones like the humerus or tibia may become stronger or heavier than the femur. The mechanics of standing and walking make the femur the strongest bone in most cases. However, in rare cases, other bones may challenge the femur for this title.
Munyit
Why does many sites always said the femur is the strongest and heaviest bone in the human body? I know the femur is the longest bone, but is it really that the femur is the strongest and heaviest bone in human body? This is a link where it is said that human femur and humerus are nearly equal in strength (http://informahealthcare.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/17453676808989447)

There are also numerous sites that said actually the tibia is the strongest and heaviest bone, even stronger and heavier than femur. But without more detail about the femur and tibia are the strongest and heaviest bone, I think our humerus or even other bone can get more robust, stronger, heavier and denser than the femur or tibia, under some kind of stress. Well, again though, I wouldn't quote me on this, as I'm sure there are people here on this forum that are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Can someone give more detailed answers regarding this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Why does many sites always said the femur is the strongest and heaviest bone in the human body? I know the femur is the longest bone, but is it really that the femur is the strongest and heaviest bone in human body?

The femur is the longest, strongest and biggest bone in the human body. If one compares the femur to the humerus or the tibia, then the femur wins in all three categories.
This is comparing one particular bone to another.

If one then examines the bone material, which is what the site you reference is all about, then the bone material seems to be of comparable strength, although there is some difference as indicated in the reference.

This is the same as comparing two rods made of steel, with one rod of a larger diameter than the other - the larger rod would be stronger, although the steel itself has the same property of tensile and ultimate strength in both.

256bits said:
The femur is the longest, strongest and biggest bone in the human body. If one compares the femur to the humerus or the tibia, then the femur wins in all three categories.
This is comparing one particular bone to another.

If one then examines the bone material, which is what the site you reference is all about, then the bone material seems to be of comparable strength, although there is some difference as indicated in the reference.

This is the same as comparing two rods made of steel, with one rod of a larger diameter than the other - the larger rod would be stronger, although the steel itself has the same property of tensile and ultimate strength in both.

Yes, in general the femur should be longer, bigger and stronger than both the humerus and tibia. But I think there must be exceptions, because I read somewhere in books few years ago the tibia or even the humerus can become stronger, heavier and denser than femur. Also it is said the bone strengthens after some intense mechanical stress. I don't remember what's the title of the book anyway. I also recalled seeing a website, it is stated that other long bones in human body can become equal in strength, robustness, weight or even length to femur under very rare circumstances. By the way, I need a more further explanation about this.

Is there a context to these questions that would help us understand where you are going with this in order to provide more relevant information?

russ_watters said:
Is there a context to these questions that would help us understand where you are going with this in order to provide more relevant information?

This is not a homework question. I'm just curious and skeptical about the strongest bone in human body, because you will find many different answers around the site and books, same like the question 'what's the strongest muscle' which is can't be assigned to any muscle. Some said the strongest muscle is the masseter, some said quadriceps, some said butt muscle, some said eye muscle and finally they said the strongest muscle is the tongue. There can't be a definite answer.

Munyit said:
Yes, in general the femur should be longer, bigger and stronger than both the humerus and tibia. But I think there must be exceptions, because I read somewhere in books few years ago the tibia or even the humerus can become stronger, heavier and denser than femur. Also it is said the bone strengthens after some intense mechanical stress. I don't remember what's the title of the book anyway. I also recalled seeing a website, it is stated that other long bones in human body can become equal in strength, robustness, weight or even length to femur under very rare circumstances. By the way, I need a more further explanation about this.

Stress causes bone remodeling and strengthening. In a normal human the femur would be the longest, strongest and heaviest bone in the body. Certainly you could find or create circumstances to usurp the femurs title. Such as in a paraplegic who lifts weights with their upper body, but has had their lower body confined to a wheel chair for decades. In such a case the femur, like the leg musculature, would suffer from atrophy.

The femur is typically the strongest bone because of the mechanics of standing and walking. Which constantly stress the femur.

bobze said:
Stress causes bone remodeling and strengthening. In a normal human the femur would be the longest, strongest and heaviest bone in the body. Certainly you could find or create circumstances to usurp the femurs title. Such as in a paraplegic who lifts weights with their upper body, but has had their lower body confined to a wheel chair for decades. In such a case the femur, like the leg musculature, would suffer from atrophy.

The femur is typically the strongest bone because of the mechanics of standing and walking. Which constantly stress the femur.

Yes of course the femur is the largest, heaviest and strongest bone in the human body, only in general sense. But I think the humerus can get stronger than femur even without 'their lower body confined to a wheel chair for decades'.

Last edited:
Strangely in my case I had heard teeth were the strongest bones in our body. Wikipedia says
Wikipedia said:
Enamel is the hardest and most highly mineralized substance of the body.
. Does this qualify as "strength" for a bone?

fluidistic said:
Strangely in my case I had heard teeth were the strongest bones in our body. Wikipedia says . Does this qualify as "strength" for a bone?

It is called enamel, not a type of bone actually. It is said to be the hardest substance of the human body, but I don't know how tough is it.

Define "the strongest".

Each time you see discussion of this type it probably means people are comparing apples and oranges - everyone has different meaning of "the xxxxxx" in mind when comparing.

Munyit said:
There are also numerous sites that said actually the tibia is the strongest and heaviest bone, even stronger and heavier than femur.

I think someone was pulling their leg. :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
I think someone was pulling their leg. :biggrin:

How could be someone was pulling their leg? I think it's you that pulling your leg very hard. :rofl:

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder how much does human femur and humerus weigh, including their minimum and maximum weight?

Look at your upper arm and compare it to your upper leg. Without a doubt your upper leg is far bigger than your upper arm; I don't care how much weight lifting you've been doing. The femur is the largest and strongest bone in the human body. Any website that says otherwise is wrong.

Dr_Morbius said:
Look at your upper arm and compare it to your upper leg. Without a doubt your upper leg is far bigger than your upper arm; I don't care how much weight lifting you've been doing. The femur is the largest and strongest bone in the human body. Any website that says otherwise is wrong.

As I already stated, your upper leg is larger than your upper arm and of course the femur is the largest and strongest bone in human body, in general.

Bone receives mechanical transduced cues from the forces it is subject to which regulate bone adsorption and remodeling. As a result, bones in different areas of the body may be "stronger" than others based on their anatomical/physiological roles.

How much does human femur and humerus weigh? I think there are no much difference in weight between these two bones, despite generally the femur are bigger than humerus.

Last edited:

1. How can all bones in the human body be equal in strength?

While some bones may appear larger or more robust than others, the strength of bones is determined by their internal structure and composition, not their size. All bones are made up of the same components, including collagen, minerals, and bone cells, which give them their strength and support.

2. Are there any factors that can affect the strength of bones?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the strength of bones, including age, gender, nutrition, and physical activity. As we age, our bones naturally become weaker and more prone to fractures. Additionally, women tend to have lower bone density than men, making them more susceptible to osteoporosis. Adequate intake of calcium and vitamin D, as well as regular weight-bearing exercise, can help maintain bone strength.

3. Do all bones have the same level of density?

No, the density of bones can vary depending on their location and function. For example, bones in the legs and arms may have a higher density due to their weight-bearing and movement roles, while bones in the skull may have a lower density since they primarily serve to protect the brain.

4. Can bones become stronger over time?

Yes, bones have the ability to adapt and become stronger in response to physical stress. This is known as bone remodeling and is a continuous process that occurs throughout our lives. Regular exercise, particularly weight-bearing and resistance activities, can stimulate bone remodeling and ultimately result in stronger bones.

5. Does bone strength play a role in overall health?

Yes, bone strength is crucial for overall health as it provides support and protection for our bodies. Strong bones also play a role in maintaining good posture and preventing injuries. Additionally, bone health is closely linked to other aspects of our well-being, such as muscle strength and joint health.