Heat transfer for a oven coil.

In summary, the heating coil will heat up as the air in the oven and the surfaces of the oven heat up. If the air temperature increases by 300 F, the surface temperature of the coil will also increase by 300 F.
zzinfinity
I'm curious how heat transfers between the heating element in my electric oven and the air in the oven. Say when I first turn on my oven the air is at room temperature (say 70F) and the surface temperature of the heating coil is at say 500F. After some time passes, the air in the oven rises to 350F. Does the surface of the heating coil remain at 500F or does it change with the ambient conditions?

And a related question. Is the maximum temperature an oven can reach determined by the heating coil, or the insulation of the exterior. Suppose I was able to insulate my oven so well that no heat could escape to the outside air (hypothetically) . Would the heating coil continue to raise the air temperature until it melted? Or would something else limit the heating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
zzinfinity said:
I'm curious how heat transfers between the heating element in my electric oven and the air in the oven.
Conduction, convection and radiation -- though the radiation is mostly between the coil and the sides of the oven (and whatever you are cooking), which then turns to convection and conduction as well.
Say when I first turn on my oven the air is at room temperature (say 70F) and the surface temperature of the heating coil is at say 500F. After some time passes, the air in the oven rises to 350F. Does the surface of the heating coil remain at 500F or does it change with the ambient conditions?
The heating coil will heat up as the air in the oven and the surfaces of the oven heat up.
And a related question. Is the maximum temperature an oven can reach determined by the heating coil, or the insulation of the exterior. Suppose I was able to insulate my oven so well that no heat could escape to the outside air (hypothetically) . Would the heating coil continue to raise the air temperature until it melted? Or would something else limit the heating.
Its both/either. You can raise the temperature capability by adding insulation or adding more heat.

Thanks for your response! Do you have an idea by how much the coil surface temperature rises? If the air temperature increases by 300 F does the surface temperature of the coil also increase by 300 F or is it a different proportion?

When you say you can raise the temperature by adding more heat, what exactly do you mean by that? Bigger coil, bigger current? And if I insulate my over perfectly such that no heat escapes, is the temperature the coil can bring the air to bounded?

Thanks!

1. How does heat transfer work in an oven coil?

Heat transfer in an oven coil works through convection, which is the transfer of heat through the movement of a medium (such as air or water). The coil heats up and transfers heat to the surrounding air, which then circulates and heats up the food in the oven.

2. What is the role of the oven coil in heat transfer?

The oven coil is responsible for producing and transferring heat to the oven's interior. It is typically made of a conductive material, such as metal, and is powered by electricity or gas to generate heat.

3. How is the heat from the oven coil distributed throughout the oven?

The heat from the oven coil is distributed through the circulation of air. As the coil heats up, it warms the air around it, causing it to rise and circulate throughout the oven. This creates a convection current that evenly distributes the heat.

4. Does the size of the oven coil affect heat transfer?

Yes, the size of the oven coil can affect heat transfer. A larger coil will produce more heat and distribute it over a larger area, while a smaller coil will produce less heat and distribute it over a smaller area. This can impact the cooking time and temperature of food in the oven.

5. How can I improve heat transfer in my oven coil?

To improve heat transfer in your oven coil, make sure it is clean and free of any debris or buildup. This will allow for better contact between the coil and the surrounding air, resulting in more efficient heat transfer. Additionally, avoid overcrowding the oven with food, as this can block the flow of hot air and affect heat distribution.