Why Does the First Term in the Force Equation Between Current Loops Cancel Out?

In summary, the problem is to find a method to integrate the field over a loop that starts and ends at the same place, so that the first term on the left cancels out. The first step is to use an identity involving one of the terms to get rid of the first term. Once that is done, divergence theorem shows that the entire term for the loop 1 vanishes.
klawlor419
I am working on a problem involving force between two loops of current. The problem is to prove the for any arbitrary loops of current, Newtons third law holds true.

I understand the basics of the approach but I am having trouble seeing why a term goes to zero. The basic setup is to use the Biot-Savart law to predict the field of a segment of the current loop then to use the Lorentz force law to predict the force acting on a segment of the second loop.

This has the form,
$$d\mathbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu_0 I_1 I_2}{4\pi s^3}(d\mathbf{l_1}\times(d\mathbf{l_2}\times \mathbf{s}))$$

Which when simplified by the triple-product and integrated gives the following form,
$$ \mathbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu_0 I_1 I_2}{4\pi s^2}(\oint\oint d\mathbf{l_2}(d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot \hat{s}) -\oint\oint\hat{s}(d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot d\mathbf{l_2}))$$

Its easy enough to see right from here that F12=-F21 just by the fact that you pick up a minus sign by switching the separation vector. So in that sense the problem is solved, at least from what I see right now.

However I was looking in the Griffiths EM and apparently the first term on the left cancels out somehow and I can't figure why. (Problem 5.49) Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
a couple of things.

1. s can't be pulled out of the integrals.

2. look at this term:
$$ \mathbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu_0 I_1 I_2}{4\pi}\oint\oint d\mathbf{l_2}\left(
d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot \frac{\hat{s}}{s^2}\right) $$
then realize that if we do the integral over loop 1 first, we have
$$ \oint d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot \frac{\hat{s}}{s^2} = \oint d_1\frac{1}{s} = 0. $$
where the subscript on 1 means I'm treating all the terms associated
with loop 1 as variables and freezing all terms associated with loop 2.

Just remember [itex] \nabla f \cdot d\mathbf{r} = df [/itex] and you're integrating
over a loop that starts and end at the same place.

Ah nice, I see now. Thanks for the trick.

please could you explain why the integral over loop 1 is zero? I'm struggling to see your method.. :/

jsholliday7 said:
please could you explain why the integral over loop 1 is zero? I'm struggling to see your method.. :/

Theres an important identity involving one of the terms. Once you use that identity, you can deduce by divergence theorem that the entire term for loop 1 vanishes.

klawlor419 said:
I am working on a problem involving force between two loops of current. The problem is to prove the for any arbitrary loops of current, Newtons third law holds true.

I understand the basics of the approach but I am having trouble seeing why a term goes to zero. The basic setup is to use the Biot-Savart law to predict the field of a segment of the current loop then to use the Lorentz force law to predict the force acting on a segment of the second loop.

This has the form,
$$d\mathbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu_0 I_1 I_2}{4\pi s^3}(d\mathbf{l_1}\times(d\mathbf{l_2}\times \mathbf{s}))$$

Which when simplified by the triple-product and integrated gives the following form,
$$ \mathbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu_0 I_1 I_2}{4\pi s^2}(\oint\oint d\mathbf{l_2}(d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot \hat{s}) -\oint\oint\hat{s}(d\mathbf{l_1}\cdot d\mathbf{l_2}))$$

Its easy enough to see right from here that F12=-F21 just by the fact that you pick up a minus sign by switching the separation vector. So in that sense the problem is solved, at least from what I see right now.

However I was looking in the Griffiths EM and apparently the first term on the left cancels out somehow and I can't figure why. (Problem 5.49) Any suggestions?
So if there is a loop current in a start say 10 light years away and I switch on a loop current in the Earth now the Newtons third law holds true.

Please, prove it with integrals and divergence theorem.

By the way I did not see any t (time) variable in your formulae.

Alva, the Biot Savart law uses the magnetostatic approximation. It doesn't apply in the far field and there is no time. This is a standard approximation, but it is an approximation.

1. What is the force between two current loops?

The force between two current loops is a magnetic force that arises due to the interaction between the magnetic fields generated by the two loops. This force can either attract or repel the two loops depending on the orientation of their magnetic fields.

2. How is the force between current loops calculated?

The force between current loops can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * A) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two loops, A is the area enclosed by the loops, and d is the distance between the two loops.

3. What is the direction of the force between current loops?

The direction of the force between current loops is perpendicular to the plane of the two loops and follows the right-hand rule. If the two loops are parallel and the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive. If the currents are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between current loops affect the force between them?

The force between current loops is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the force between the loops decreases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force between the loops.

5. Can the force between current loops be used in practical applications?

Yes, the force between current loops has several practical applications. For example, it is used in electric motors to produce rotational motion, in particle accelerators to control the trajectory of charged particles, and in magnetic levitation systems to suspend objects in mid-air. It is also used in various scientific experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions.