Register to reply

What are the independent terms in the Magnetic Tensor

by welshrich
Tags: independent, magnetic, tensor, terms
Share this thread:
welshrich
May6-14, 01:23 PM
P: 4
I am trying to understand the magnetic gradient tensor which has nine components. There are three magnetic field components, but there are also three baselines. These nine gradients are organised into a 3x3 matrix. I have read that only 5 of these terms are independent. What exactly does this mean? What makes them independent?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
dauto
May6-14, 01:49 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
If five terms are independent than given those five terms you are able to calculate the others
welshrich
May6-14, 02:02 PM
P: 4
Thanks that is helpful. I had been trying to visualise what is happening and not having much success - I can imagine splitting the magnetic vector into 3 components and then measuring the rate of change of each of these particular components in the three directions. I did not realise you can use some of the terms in the matrix to calculate others. I assumed that only 5 remained because the others somehow cancelled eachother due to symmetry. And this is where I am hitting a wall - I can't imagine how the rate of change of one component of the field with respect to a given baseline can be equal to the rate of change of another component of the field with respect to a particular baseline. Any insights?

Register to reply