Solve for Equal & Opposite Fahrenheit & Celsius Temperatures

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    celsius
In summary, to find the temperature where Fahrenheit and Celsius are equal, you can set the conversion equations equal to each other and solve for either temperature. For the second question, you would need to multiply one side by -1 before solving for the temperature.
Imparcticle
#1) At what temperature are the Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures exactly equal?

In order to answer this question, I set the following equal:
(the asterisk represents the degree sign)
*F = 1.8 (*C) + 32
*C = ((*F) - 32)/1.8

1.8 (*C) + 32 = ((*F) - 32)/1.8
1.8 (*C) = *F

And I know this is incorrect. Please tell me how to do this.

#2) At what temperature are the Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures the same value but opposite in sign?

I have no idea how to do this one let alone the previous one. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1: Isolate either C or F in one of the equations, then you can equate your other equation which will represent one of the temperatures to the formula you just derived, and they will both be in terms of the same single variable so it can be solved.

For question 2: same deal, just multiply one of the sides by -1 before you solve.

Let's start by writing the function for converting between F and C as:
[tex]f = 1.8c+32 [/tex]

f and c are just numbers; we are looking for when f = c in the first question, so substitute in

[tex]c=1.8c+32[/tex]

and solve.

For the second one, do it the same way except this time you substitute f=-c

So would I do this:
for #1:
c=1.8c+32
c-1.8c=32
.8c=32
c=40

#2) -c=1.8(c)+32
-c-1.8c=32
-2.8c=32
c=-11

You lost a minus sign on 1 - try it again.

The other looks fine.

1. How do you convert Fahrenheit temperatures to Celsius temperatures?

To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 from the Fahrenheit temperature, then multiply by 5/9.

2. How do you convert Celsius temperatures to Fahrenheit temperatures?

To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply the Celsius temperature by 9/5, then add 32.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for equal and opposite Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures?

Sure, let's say we have a temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit. To find the equal and opposite Celsius temperature, we subtract 32 from 68 and get 36. Then, we multiply 36 by 5/9 and get 20 degrees Celsius. To find the equal and opposite Fahrenheit temperature, we multiply 20 by 9/5 and get 36. Then, we add 32 to 36 and get 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Why is it important to know how to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures?

Knowing how to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures allows for easier communication and understanding of temperature measurements. It also allows for comparison between different temperature scales and makes it easier to understand temperature changes in different regions or countries.

5. Are there any other temperature scales besides Fahrenheit and Celsius?

Yes, there are other temperature scales such as Kelvin and Rankine. However, Fahrenheit and Celsius are the most commonly used temperature scales in everyday life.