What is the Minimum Speed of a Pendulum Released from a Height of 0.400 m?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the minimum speed of a pendulum with a 2.0 kg bob released from a height of 0.400 m. The correct formula is used and the answer is found to be 7.84 m/s. There is a brief discussion about whether this is the maximum or minimum speed, and it is determined that it is the maximum speed. The conversation ends with a clarification about the starting point of the pendulum and its maximum height.
IB
A pendulum, with a 2.0 kg bob, is released from a height of 0.400 m and allowed to swing freely. Determine its minimum speed.
I got:
E_grav = E_kin
--> mgh = 1/2 mv^2
--> v = sqrt (2gh)
--> v = sqrt (2*9.8*.4)
--> v = 7.84 m/s
Is that right? It seems weird; so please tell me if I'm right or wrong. If wrong, please show me what I did wrong. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, but you forgot to take the square root. (I assume you were asked to find the maximum speed, not the minimum.)

Doc Al said:
Your method is correct, but you forgot to take the square root. (I assume you were asked to find the maximum speed, not the minimum.)
Ohh, I forgot that. sqrt (7.84) = 2.8
--> Isn't that the minimum speed?
if that's not the minimum speed, then...Hmm, how to find minimum speed..? Could the minimum speed of the pendulum be "0"? Or should we determine the minimum speed at exactly the highest point, when it gets its best gravitational energy?

Last edited:
IB said:
Could the minimum speed of the pendulum be "0"?
Of course.
Or should we determine the minimum speed at exactly the highest point, when it gets its best gravitational energy?
Assuming that its being "released" means that it starts at that point with zero speed, that's as high as it will get.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks a lot, Doc Al. :)

1. What is the minimum speed required for a pendulum to complete a full swing?

The minimum speed required for a pendulum to complete a full swing is called the "critical speed." This speed is dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity at that location.

2. How is the minimum speed of a pendulum calculated?

The minimum speed of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula v = √(g * L), where v is the minimum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

3. Is the minimum speed of a pendulum affected by its mass?

No, the minimum speed of a pendulum is not affected by its mass. It is solely dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What happens if a pendulum is swung at a speed below the minimum speed?

If a pendulum is swung at a speed below the minimum speed, it will not complete a full swing. Instead, it will gradually come to a stop due to friction and air resistance.

5. How is the minimum speed of a pendulum important in practical applications?

The minimum speed of a pendulum is important in practical applications such as clock mechanisms and amusement park rides. It helps determine the optimal length of the pendulum and the speed at which it should swing to maintain constant and accurate movement.