What is the role of wavefront in high explosives?

In summary: Feels like I'm going to start a fire.In summary, high explosives do not detonate with just a flame. A sufficiently energetic shockwave is needed.
Nim
How slow can an explosion possibly be?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether there is an accurate/helpful answer to your question as it is stated. The term explosion is very general as it applies to the release of mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy (however Feynman once stated that nuclear bombs are really electrical bombs: it's true).

If you are referring to high explosives, there is a term you should read into: (VOD) or Velocity Of Detonation. VOD is defined as the rate at which the detonation wave travels through the explosive product. It usually falls in the rage of 2000-8000 m/s. VOD only pertains to high explosives and really has no usefull meaning in the context of low explosives. Remember that high explosives don't involve combustion reactions (oxidation reduction reactions) but rather detonation (a type of molecular dissassociation).

Some reading:

Meglomania's
The Explosives and Weapons Forum.
This site represents is a VERY competent forum community. I highly reccomend its material.

BTW. Please be responsible with this information. I would hate to see an obituaries section added to PF.

Edit - Grammar

Last edited:
I think the generally accepted difference between "detonation" and "combustion" is wether the reaction takes place at supersonic speed for the medium being burned.

In an internal combustion engine, for example, care is taken to avoid a feul/O2/pressure combination that will "detonate" the fuel in the cylinder, because such an explosion will damage the piston heads (this is one of the main engineering obsticals to Pulse Detonation Engines). Although I've never seen it explicitly stated, the difference between detonation and combustion is always discussed in terms of a supersonic or a subsonic shockwave.

For example, http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,12543,473272-2,00.html no pulse detonation states that...

In deflagration—even in "fast flame" situations ordinarily called explosions—that reaction moves at tens of meters per second at most. But in detonation, a supersonic shock wave slams down the tube...

Not a clear-cut definition, as most people would refer to what goes on inside an engine cylinder as an "explosion".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for catching my mistake.

As you said. The wavefront seems to be the key factor in HE.
It's funny though how many high explosives will not detonate without a sufficiently energetic shock wave. They are not combustible in the usual sense of the word. Even when they are exposed to intense flame many types remain stable and will not detonate or will not do so efficiently. The oxidation (for most HE) occurs only after the molecules have been "cracked open."
Also HE usially carries mos of its own oxidizer in the compund.

On a side note: I really do hate changing those head gaskets after a bad tank of fuel.

Last edited:

What is the minimum speed required for an explosion to occur?

The minimum speed required for an explosion to occur depends on various factors such as the type of explosive material, its concentration, and the surrounding conditions. Generally, a minimum speed of 1,700 meters per second is needed for a supersonic shock wave to form and trigger an explosion.

What is the relationship between the minimum speed of an explosion and its destructive power?

The minimum speed of an explosion is directly proportional to its destructive power. A higher minimum speed means a more powerful explosion with a larger blast radius and greater impact on the surrounding area.

Can an explosion occur at speeds lower than the minimum required speed?

Yes, it is possible for an explosion to occur at speeds lower than the minimum required speed. However, the explosive energy released will be significantly lower and may not cause as much damage as a high-speed explosion.

How do scientists measure the minimum speed of an explosion?

Scientists use specialized equipment such as high-speed cameras and pressure sensors to measure the minimum speed of an explosion. They also conduct controlled experiments with different explosive materials to determine the minimum speed required for an explosion to occur.

What impact does the environment have on the minimum speed of an explosion?

The environment can have a significant impact on the minimum speed of an explosion. Factors such as air pressure, temperature, and humidity can affect the speed at which an explosion occurs. A higher air pressure and lower humidity can increase the minimum speed required for an explosion to happen.