Chasing the Speeder: Calculating Time, Distance & Speed

• Thread starter ash_gurlie10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, a police car traveling at an initial velocity of 0 m/s and accelerating at a rate of 3.6 m/s^2 has a speeder pass it at a velocity of 28 m/s. To catch the speeder, the police car must travel a distance and reach a velocity equal to that of the speeder. To find the time it takes to catch the speeder, we can use the kinematic equation d=vit+1/2at^2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. We know that the final distance and velocity for both the police car and the speeder must be the same, so we can set the two equations equal
ash_gurlie10
A police car stopped at a set of lights has a speeder pass it at 28 m/s. If the police car can accelerate at 3.6m/s/s (m/s^2),

a)how long does it take to catch the speeder?

b) How far would the police car have to go before it catches the speeder?

c) what would its speed be when it caught up with the car?

Sorry... for some reason I'm so confused at this... and I have no idea where to start... plus the answers are unreliable, so I have no idea if my attempts are on the right track or not. Please help:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Ash,

You need to know at what time the cars have traveled the same distance, you are given their initial velocities and their acceleration, therefore, you need a kinematic equation with distance, inital velocities, acceleration and time. Can you think of one?

Regards,
~Hoot

Note to mods: please move this to Introductory Physics

I have a bunch of equations from which to use, but I don't understand how to start part a. I've tried a million things, and nothing is close to the "right" answer...

There is only one kinematic equation which satisfies the conditions I posted above. Which is it?

~Hoot

I dont' know... I don't know where to start?

start by writing down what you have and what you need to know.

then use your kinematics equations to solve for the variables you need to know.

hope this helps. try posting what you have done so far, so that people can see where you need help.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is: speed = distance / time.

2. How do you convert units when calculating speed?

To convert units when calculating speed, you can use unit conversion factors. For example, to convert from meters per second to kilometers per hour, you can multiply the value by 3.6.

3. How do you calculate time when given distance and speed?

You can calculate time by dividing the distance by the speed. The formula is: time = distance / speed.

4. Can you calculate speed without knowing the distance?

No, you cannot calculate speed without knowing the distance. Both distance and speed are necessary to calculate the other. If you only know one of these values, you can only determine the average speed over a period of time.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall rate of motion over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is calculated by finding the slope of the distance-time graph at a given point.