XRAY - Mosely Question: K & L Waves Explained

• Thread starter zarkorgon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Xray
In summary: You'll see a discussion of K and L lines.In summary, the K and L lines refer to specific atomic transitions in which electrons are knocked off from the most tightly bound energy levels and then filled by electrons from higher energy levels, resulting in radiation with specific energies that can be used to determine the atomic numbers of elements. These lines are designated as K_{\alpha}, K_{\beta}, etc. and can be analogized to the electronic shell structure proposed by Bohr. This understanding can be further explored through resources such as the quantum zone website.
zarkorgon
Hi, I am an amateur to physics, am trying to understand what Mosely actually did when he used 'K' and 'L' waves to derive atomic numbers of elements.

Can someone please tell me what exactly the 'K' and 'L' waves are, respectively?

What is a 'K' wave and what does it measure?
What is a 'L' wave and what does it measure?

THANKS !

Physics news on Phys.org
The K and L lines refer to certain atomic transitions. K electrons are the most tightly bound electrons in atoms. When a K electron is knocked off from an atom and the hole left behind is filled by an electron from a higher energy level radiation corresponding to the energy difference is emitted. When an electron is knocked off from one energy level above the K electrons (called L ) and the hole is filled with an electron from an energy level above L you get the L lines. The energies of the emission lines are element specific and depend on the atomic numbers.

I don't know how clear I was being since I don't know your background but feel free to ask further questions.

1. The physics of the atomic electron was not very well understood at Moseley's (and Bohr's) time (not nearly as well as it was, about 50 years after), though it was a significant leap forward from previous knowledge.

2. The K, L ,... structure is nothing but the n=1,2,... electronic shell description provided by Bohr (published a couple or so years before Moseley published his experimental results). These numbers loosely translate to the ratio between the circumference of each Bohr orbit and the wavelength of the electron in that orbit.

3. [itex]K_{\alpha }, K_{\beta }, ...[/itex] are designations for characteristic x-rays emitted by an electron dropping down through, 1,2,... levels to reach the K-shell. A similar notation is used for the other shells.

XRAY Question - Inha

thank you very much for your reply! So then K and L are simply physical positions of displacement?

inha said:
The K and L lines refer to certain atomic transitions. K electrons are the most tightly bound electrons in atoms. When a K electron is knocked off from an atom and the hole left behind is filled by an electron from a higher energy level radiation corresponding to the energy difference is emitted. When an electron is knocked off from one energy level above the K electrons (called L ) and the hole is filled with an electron from an energy level above L you get the L lines. The energies of the emission lines are element specific and depend on the atomic numbers.

I don't know how clear I was being since I don't know your background but feel free to ask further questions.

Gokul43201 - XRAY QUESTION

Thank you for your reply, very helpful and informative. I believe I understood most of what you described below but am still a bit fuzzy on the overall concept...

Gokul, is there any sort of similar 'thing' to a K or L in nature, some sort of analogy to understand it better by, or if we were working with a simple type of geometry or physical mechanism, how might they be conceptualized... any ideas?

Gokul43201 said:
1. The physics of the atomic electron was not very well understood at Moseley's (and Bohr's) time (not nearly as well as it was, about 50 years after), though it was a significant leap forward from previous knowledge.

2. The K, L ,... structure is nothing but the n=1,2,... electronic shell description provided by Bohr (published a couple or so years before Moseley published his experimental results). These numbers loosely translate to the ratio between the circumference of each Bohr orbit and the wavelength of the electron in that orbit.

3. [itex]K_{\alpha }, K_{\beta }, ...[/itex] are designations for characteristic x-rays emitted by an electron dropping down through, 1,2,... levels to reach the K-shell. A similar notation is used for the other shells.

zarkorgon said:
Gokul, is there any sort of similar 'thing' to a K or L in nature, some sort of analogy to understand it better by, or if we were working with a simple type of geometry or physical mechanism, how might they be conceptualized... any ideas?
Start here: http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/quantumzone/bohr.html [Broken]

Click the NEXT button at the bottom of the page when you complete it. At the end of the discussion on Bohr orbits (at about the third page), you'll see a link to X-rays - follow that link.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of Mosely's X-ray experiments?

Mosely's X-ray experiments were significant because they established a link between the wavelength of an X-ray and the atomic number of an element. This discovery led to the development of the modern periodic table and helped scientists better understand the structure of the atom.

2. How did Mosely's experiment help explain the discrepancies in the periodic table?

Mosely's experiment showed that the atomic number, which is based on the number of protons in an atom's nucleus, is a more accurate way to organize elements than atomic mass. This explained why some elements appeared to be out of order in the periodic table based on their atomic mass.

3. What are K and L waves in X-ray spectroscopy?

K and L waves are specific X-ray wavelengths that are absorbed by the electrons in an atom's innermost (K) and second innermost (L) energy levels. These waves are used in X-ray spectroscopy to identify and study the elements present in a sample.

4. How are K and L waves related to an element's atomic number?

The K and L wave frequencies are directly related to an element's atomic number. As the atomic number increases, so does the frequency of these waves. This relationship is known as Mosely's Law and is the basis for the modern periodic table.

5. How does X-ray spectroscopy help scientists study the properties of elements?

X-ray spectroscopy allows scientists to identify the elements present in a sample and determine their relative quantities. This information can then be used to study the chemical and physical properties of these elements, providing valuable insights into their behavior and interactions with other elements.