Looking for the answer book to a calc textbook

In summary: Zz.It's "illegal" in the sense that if you are caught with it, your school can take disciplinary actions.
dnt
first, if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

secondly, this is the textbook in question:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0395885787&pdf=y

im trying to find the answer book (not just the odds...for all the answers) that goes with it. like a teachers edition or something like that.

how can i find it if i don't have the ISBN number? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is illegal and highly inappropriate to possesses the teachers's edition of the book if you are not authorized to have it. That is why it isn't available other than to an authorized channel of a school from the publisher. This type of question is not allowed on PF.

Zz.

dnt's "looking for the answer book" thread

I believe he was looking for what we call a 'study guide' that has both odd and even answers AND the methods/techniques used to find them.

They are not teacher's editions and a great deal of math textbooks are sold along side their respective study guides.

OK.. I'm reopening this thead if that is the case.

Zz.

This is the book we are using at our college (newest edition). The student solution guide has worked answers to odd-numbered problems and is for sale. The instructor's solution guide has the even and odd solutions and is only available to instructors.

This book also has a free (legal) online solutions guide to odd problems (7th and 8th editions):
http://www.calcchat.com/
(Click on "Click Here for FREE Access")

-GeoMike-

Alas, the publisher only appears to have a student handbook with odd numbered problems:

http://college.hmco.com/CollegeCatalog/CollegeStoreController?cmd=MainProdPage&subcmd=Main&ProdId=10823

edit-free is obviously better if online is good enough!

There is an instructors manual you can find on the publishers site, but they won't sell you one unless you are an instructor.

ZapperZ said:
It is illegal and highly inappropriate to possesses the teachers's edition of the book if you are not authorized to have it.

I wouldn't have thought it was illegal, but I'd agree with inapropriate if it matters for your particular course (graded assignments taken from the book for example). They're sometimes in the reserve room in the library at my university.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
It is illegal and highly inappropriate to possesses the teachers's edition of the book if you are not authorized to have it. That is why it isn't available other than to an authorized channel of a school from the publisher. This type of question is not allowed on PF.

Zz.

thanks for the info - i honestly had no idea.

Pythagorean said:
I believe he was looking for what we call a 'study guide' that has both odd and even answers AND the methods/techniques used to find them.

They are not teacher's editions and a great deal of math textbooks are sold along side their respective study guides.

yeah, that's basically what i want - i guess i used the wrong term of "teachers guide". the even answers with explanations would be perfect.

how can i find that specific one to the book i linked above?

GeoMike said:
This is the book we are using at our college (newest edition). The student solution guide has worked answers to odd-numbered problems and is for sale. The instructor's solution guide has the even and odd solutions and is only available to instructors.

This book also has a free (legal) online solutions guide to odd problems (7th and 8th editions):
http://www.calcchat.com/
(Click on "Click Here for FREE Access")

-GeoMike-

thanks - great link although its too bad i can't get the even ones.

shmoe said:
I wouldn't have thought it was illegal, but I'd agree with inapropriate if it matters for your particular course (graded assignments taken from the book for example). They're sometimes in the reserve room in the library at my university.

It's "illegal" in the sense that if you are caught with it, your school can take displinary actions.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It's "illegal" in the sense that if you are caught with it, your school can take disciplinary actions.

Zz.

That's a very strange concept.

abdo375 said:
That's a very strange concept.

Why? It is cheating. You obtain a document that is meant only for instructors. The department had to obtain the solutions via official means, i.e. a request must be made by the dept. head using the school's official letterhead to the publisher. All that to make sure such things do not get into the hands of students.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It's "illegal" in the sense that if you are caught with it, your school can take displinary actions.

Zz.

Ahh, that makes much more sense.

abdo375, it's not really strange, some instructors will pull even numbered problems out of the book for graded tests or homework. Presumably publishers don't distribute these manuals to make this possible. In this case, obtaining an instructors manual could be a violation of your academic code of conduct, i.e. cheating.

In some regards, it's a crime with even more consequences, since it can put your career down the drain (at LEAST with that particular academic institution where you violated policy).

That's much more of a threat (to me) than most misdemeanors and moving violations.

Study guides, on the other hand, are considered an aid, and not cheating. If a study guide isn't available for your book though, you can always turn to alternative resources. (My general physics book by serway and jones has been a good basic resource for some of my upper classes, since it includes a lot of specific examples, often you'll find similar problems in another book that happens to be an odd problem w/ answer in back).

1. Where can I find the answer book to my calc textbook?

The answer book for your calc textbook can typically be found on the publisher's website or on online bookstores. You can also check with your instructor or school's library for physical copies.

2. Is it necessary to have the answer book for my calc textbook?

Having the answer book can be helpful for checking your work and understanding difficult concepts, but it is not always necessary. It is important to still try and solve problems on your own first before using the answer book as a crutch.

3. How can I access the answer book if it is not available online or in my school's library?

You can try reaching out to the publisher directly and requesting a copy of the answer book. You can also join online forums or study groups where other students may have access to the answer book and can share it with you.

4. Are the answers in the answer book always correct?

The answers in the answer book are typically accurate, but there may be some errors or discrepancies. It is important to still double check your work and not solely rely on the answer book.

5. Can using the answer book be considered cheating?

Using the answer book to simply copy answers without understanding the concepts is considered cheating. However, using it as a reference and learning tool is acceptable. It is important to use the answer book responsibly and to still put in effort to solve problems on your own.