How to Calculate Work Done on a Spring?

So the correct formula is W = 1/2 k x_f^2 - 1/2 k x_i^2. In this case, x_i = 0, so W = 1/2 k x_f^2.
bearhug
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.5 cm.
(a) If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.45 kg, how far will the spring stretch?

F=ma
-ma=-kx
-(4)(9.8)=-k(0.025)
k=1568

-(1.5)(9.8)= -1568x
x=0.00938m
I keep being told that this is wrong and yet I have not been able to figure out where I went wrong. Can someone point out what the problem is.

b) how much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.9 cm from its unstretched position?
Here I used k=1568 and W=1/2kxi^2- 1/2kxf^2
=1/2(1568)(0)^2-1/2(1568)(0.049)^2
W=1.25J or -1.25 J
Once again I'm being told that this is wrong and would like for someone to point out the problem.

Thanks in advance:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
bearhug said:
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.5 cm.
(a) If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.45 kg, how far will the spring stretch?

F=ma
-ma=-kx
-(4)(9.8)=-k(0.025)
k=1568

-(1.5)(9.8)= -1568x
x=0.00938m
I keep being told that this is wrong and yet I have not been able to figure out where I went wrong. Can someone point out what the problem is.
I don't see any fundamental problem here (except for your misuse of "F = ma"--see below). But why did you use 1.5 instead of the given 1.45 kg? (You can also solve this using ratios.)

One thing to point out: You are not using Newton's 2nd law here (F = ma), but you are using Hooke's law (F = kx). In this case, the F is the force that is stretching the spring--which is the weight of the hanging mass: w = mg.

b) how much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.9 cm from its unstretched position?
Here I used k=1568 and W=1/2kxi^2- 1/2kxf^2
=1/2(1568)(0)^2-1/2(1568)(0.049)^2
W=1.25J or -1.25 J
Once again I'm being told that this is wrong and would like for someone to point out the problem.
I only see two problems: (1) Your signs are off. Note that change in spring energy (or anything) is always final - initial. The work done is positive. (2) Check your arithmetic.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
I don't see any fundamental problem here. But why did you use 1.5 instead of the given 1.45 kg? (You can also solve this using ratios.)

One thing to point out: You are not using Newton's 2nd law here (F = ma), but you are using Hooke's law (F = kx). In this case, the F is the force that is stretching the spring--which is the weight of the hanging mass: w = mg.

I only see two problems: (1) Your signs are off. Note that change in spring energy (or anything) is always final - initial. The work done is positive. (2) Check your arithmetic.

technicaly hooke's law is F= -kx and the work done by a spring is infact i-f.

Last edited:
BishopUser said:
technicaly hooke's law is F= -kx and the work done by a spring is infact i-f.
True, but here we are finding the work done by an external agent in stretching the spring--which equals the change in the spring's energy--which is "final energy - initial energy". (The minus sign in Hooke's law tells you the direction of the spring's restoring force, which is opposite to the force applied by the external agent.)

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation or change in length of the object.

2. What is a spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is a factor in Hooke's Law that relates the force applied to a spring to the resulting displacement.

3. How is Hooke's Law applied in real life?

Hooke's Law is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the design of springs for vehicles, measuring weights with a spring scale, and in the construction of buildings and bridges to account for the elasticity of materials.

4. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the resulting displacement or change in length of the spring.

5. How does Hooke's Law apply to non-linear materials?

Hooke's Law is a linear relationship between force and displacement, so it does not apply to non-linear materials that do not follow a straight line relationship. However, it can be used to approximate the behavior of these materials under certain conditions.