Interpreting Ambiguous HW Question on Curve Length and Surface Patch Domains

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about finding the length of a curve on a sphere, but there is ambiguity about the domains and the surface being considered. The question also includes finding the angles of intersection between the curve and certain parallels. The expert suggests sticking to the given domain for the curve and possibly exploring further if desired.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I got this HW question made up by the professor that I find ambiguous. It says

Consider the curve [itex]\theta (t)=\pi/2-t[/itex], [itex]\phi(t)=\log \cot(\pi/4-t/2)[/itex] on the sphere [itex]r(\theta,\phi)=(\sin\theta \cos\phi,\sin\theta\sin\phi,cos\theta)[/itex]

Find the length of the curve btw the points t=pi/6 and pi/4

He did not specify domains for either the curve nor the "surface" r. On one hand, if we take r to be a surface patch, this requires that the (maximum) domain be [itex]0 < \theta < \pi[/itex], [itex] 0 < \phi < 2\pi[/itex]. Anything bigger and the domain is not open or r is not injective. But this surface patch does not cover the whole sphere.

I could also consider two other surface patches of the form [itex]r_{2,3}(\theta,\phi)=(\sin\theta \cos\phi,\sin\theta\sin\phi,cos\theta)[/itex] with appropriate domains, that together with r above form an atlas for the unit sphere.

Any thoughts? How would you interpret this question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean. The domain is pi/6<t<pi/4. From the above relations you can get r as a function of t, and this is just some curve.

There is another question after that:

Find the angles of intersection btw this curve and the parallels [itex]\theta = const.[/itex]

would you still say that the curve's domain is (pi/6,pi/4)? Or would you study it more carefully to find what is the maximum domain where the curve is defined and thus find all the possible intersectino points?

I would stick to (pi/6,pi/4), at least for this question. If you're curious, keep going, but then you're doing more than what's asked.

What does "interpret" mean in scientific research?

In scientific research, "interpret" refers to the process of analyzing and making sense of data or experimental results. This involves understanding the significance of the findings and drawing conclusions that can contribute to the existing knowledge in the field.

How should I approach interpreting my data?

Interpreting data requires careful consideration and attention to detail. Start by organizing your data and identifying any patterns or trends. Then, compare your findings to previous studies or established theories to see if they support or contradict existing knowledge. Finally, draw conclusions based on the evidence and explain the implications of your findings.

What factors should I consider when interpreting my results?

When interpreting your results, it is important to consider the reliability and validity of your data. This includes the accuracy of the measurement techniques used, potential sources of error, and the sample size. Additionally, take into account any limitations of your study and how they may affect the interpretation of your results.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my interpretation?

To ensure the accuracy of your interpretation, it is important to use a systematic and objective approach. This includes following established protocols and using statistical analysis to determine the significance of your findings. It is also beneficial to have your results and interpretations reviewed by colleagues or experts in the field.

What should I do if my interpretation differs from previous studies?

If your interpretation differs from previous studies, it is important to carefully examine the methods and data used in both studies. Consider any potential differences in sample size, measurement techniques, or other factors that may have influenced the results. It may also be helpful to discuss your findings with other researchers to gain a better understanding of the discrepancies.