Electron Sphere and Magnitude

In summary: Essentially, the solution is that there must be approximately 890 excess electrons on each sphere in order for the force of repulsion to be 4.57 * 10^-21 N. In summary, we must have approximately 890 excess electrons on each sphere in order for the force of repulsion between them to be 4.57 * 10^-21 N. This can be calculated using the equation q = sqrt(r^2*F / k) and then dividing the resulting charge by the charge of an electron.
stylez03

Homework Statement

Two small spheres spaced 20.0 cm apart have equal charge.

How many excess electrons must be present on each sphere if the magnitude of the force of repulsion between them is 4.57 * 10^-21 N?

Homework Equations

F = 1/4pi*e_o * k * (|Q1|*|Q2| / r^2)

1/4pi*e_o = 8.988 * 10^-9

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we know the force, we just have to find how many excess electrons and since they have the same charge, we can just take that value and square it.

4.57 * 10^21 = 8.988 * 10^-9 * ((x * 10^-9)^2 / (.20)^2)

I've tried different values of X but I can't seem to get it to equate to given Force, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you manipulate the equation before putting the numbers in then it will be a lot easier.

[tex] q^2 =\frac{r^2F}{k} [/tex]

The square root will give you the charge on each sphere and then you will have to divide that by the charge on an electron to determine the number of electrons on the sphere.

q^2 = r^2*F / k

q = sqrt(r^2*F / k)

r = .20m
F = 4.57 * 10^-21
k = 8.85 * 10^-12

sqrt( ((.20)^2 * (4.57*10^-12)) / (8.85*10^-12) )

Doing the math I get q = .000005

You said to take this value and divide by the charge of an electron? I'm not sure what to do with this value after I obtain q, I know this should give you the charge of q right?

In the equation I gave you [tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/tex] so the value you used is incorrect. As for q, that is the charge on 1 sphere and to find how many eectrons cause the charge you need to divide q by the charge on an electron.

Yes, you're right I must of have missed that.

From the new calculations:

sqrt( ((.20)^2 * (4.57*10^-12)) / (1/ 4*pi*(8.85*10^-12)) )

q = 1.42*10^-16

Charge of Electron = 1.602 × 10^-19

So you said take q / charge of electron?

(1.42*10^-16) / (1.602* 10^-19) = 8.9*10^-36?

I entered that in as the solution, but the online program says it's still incorrect.

Last edited:
Should come out at about 890.

Kurdt said:
Should come out at about 890.

Yea that's the answer, I guess I mis-interpreted the answer. Thanks!

Just looks like you made a minor error on the calculator when you were plugging the numbers in. If you try again you'll probably get the correct answer.

What is an electron sphere?

An electron sphere is a theoretical concept that describes a region around an atom where the electron can be found. It represents the probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus.

How is the size of an electron sphere determined?

The size of an electron sphere is determined by the energy state of the electron. A higher energy state corresponds to a larger electron sphere, while a lower energy state corresponds to a smaller electron sphere.

What is the magnitude of an electron?

The magnitude of an electron refers to its charge, which is -1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This means that the electron has a negative charge and is attracted to positively charged particles.

Can the magnitude of an electron change?

No, the magnitude of an electron is a fundamental constant and cannot change. However, the energy state and position of an electron can change, affecting its behavior and interactions with other particles.

How does the electron sphere and magnitude affect chemical bonding?

The electron sphere and magnitude play a crucial role in chemical bonding. Atoms with incomplete electron spheres are more likely to bond with other atoms in order to achieve a stable electron configuration. The magnitude of an electron also determines the strength of the bond between atoms.