Kronig-Penney Model: Plotting Energy Bands in Excel

• Thread starter Fez07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, you need to set up your spreadsheet to plot lines and the RHS vs E. The areas where the values are greater than 1 are solutions with bands.
Fez07
Hi there,
I want to plot a graph of the right hand side of the equation VS the energy, E, in eV for a periodic array of square wells each of depth 300eV, width 0.05nm, and period 0.1nm using SI units and MICROSOFT EXCEL spreadsheet to determine the allowed energy bands and band gaps:

cos(kp)=F=cos(α(p-w))cosh(βw)+((β squared - α squared)/2αβ))sin(α(p-w))sinh(βw)

α = (1/h bar)* square root(2mE)

β = (1/h bar)* square root(2m(V-E))

w = width of barrier separating two adjacent potential wells
p = period
m = mass of an electron
V = well depth

Solutions are only obtained if F is between -1 and 1.

I have no idea how to do this so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to set up your spreadsheet with the variable quantities and constants. We insist that you attempt a solution before we help you.

Thanks for replying. I set up the EXCEL spread sheet with columns of:

V = 300*1.6*10^-19 (energy in J)
p = 0.1*10^-9 (period in m)
m = 9.1094*10^-31 (mass of the electron in kg)
h_bar = 1.05*10^-34
w = 0.05*10^-9 (width of separating barrier in m)

E = alpha^2*h_bar^2 / (2*m)
β = (1/h_bar)* square root(2m(V-E))

and the RHS of the equation.

But i don't know what to do from here.
Please help me.

Thanks

So if you've set up your columns, plot 3 lines, [itex] \pm 1 [/itex] and the RHS vs [itex] E [/itex]. The areas where the values are greater than 1 are solutions where there are bands. Later I'll plot up your solutions and see what I get.

Hi again,
I still can't figure it out. I'm getting a "Circular Reference" error between the alpha and E values..?

Thanks

Fez07

Hi there, it's me again:

I've figured out what i was doing wrong and gotten the solution.

Thanks for the help. I couldn't have done it otherwise.

Two thumbs up.

Fez07

1. What is the Kronig-Penney model?

The Kronig-Penney model is a theoretical model used in solid-state physics to describe the energy bands of electrons in a periodic crystal lattice. It is named after physicists Ralph Kronig and William Penney, who first proposed the model in the 1930s.

2. How does the Kronig-Penney model work?

The Kronig-Penney model uses a simplified one-dimensional representation of a crystal lattice, where the atoms are arranged in a periodic array. It considers the interactions between the electrons and the periodic potential of the lattice, resulting in the formation of energy bands. These energy bands represent the allowed energy levels for electrons in the crystal.

3. What is the significance of plotting energy bands in Excel?

Plotting energy bands in Excel allows for a visual representation of the energy levels in a crystal lattice, making it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of electrons in the lattice. It also allows for the manipulation of different parameters, such as lattice spacing and potential strength, to study their effects on the energy bands.

4. How do I plot energy bands in Excel using the Kronig-Penney model?

To plot energy bands in Excel using the Kronig-Penney model, you will need to input the appropriate equations for the energy bands and use the "scatter plot" function to create a graph. You will also need to define the parameters of the model, such as the lattice spacing and potential strength, before plotting the energy bands.

5. What are the limitations of the Kronig-Penney model?

While the Kronig-Penney model is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, it has some limitations. It only considers a simplified one-dimensional representation of a crystal lattice and does not take into account the effects of imperfections or defects in the lattice. It also does not consider the quantum mechanical effects such as electron-electron interactions, which can play a significant role in the behavior of electrons in a real crystal.