Building a Low Speed Wind Tunnel: Fan/Motor Size Considerations

In summary, the contraction cone speeds up the air (proportional to the area ratio). This mechanical advantage factor into sizing the fan/motor combo. If you want to keep the test section below 15' long, you will need to use a BAF.
good_ken
I am trying to build a low speed wind tunnel, and have a question. I understand that the contraction cone speeds up the air (proportional to the area ratio).

What I am confused on is how does this "mechanical advantage" factor into sizing my fan / motor?

I am planning on a tunnel with a velocity of 225 ft/s. That yields 33,000 cfm (for a 1.5' x 1.5' area). But if I build a 12:1 contraction cone, doesn't that help me downsize the fan/motor combo I need? Or does the 33,000 cfm number already represent this advantage of the contraction cone?

Physics news on Phys.org
CFM is CFM is CFM. The only thing the test area buys you is an increase in velocity. The volumetric flow remains the same for a given fan speed.

After posting, I had that realization.

Thanks

I have not heard the term 'contraction cone' used before, are you in the UK or something?

Its just called a nozzle.

Thats 150mph wind, that's pretty quick.

No, California. Might as well be a foreign country (relative to the other states).

I picked up that term from http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/aero/tunnel/tunnel_parts.html"

Yes, we are trying to test model rocket. Specifically to get the Cd. To get the Reynolds number right, we need to be at about 225 ft/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
33,000 cfm is a lot of air, I would look into a leaf blower.

33,000 cfm is a lot of air and 225 sq ft is a big test section. You're probably not being realistic about how big you can make your wind tunnel and what you can do with it. But if you are really serious about this and can do it, this fan is about what you need: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7F883

russ_watters said:
33,000 cfm is a lot of air and 225 sq ft is a big test section. You're probably not being realistic about how big you can make your wind tunnel and what you can do with it. But if you are really serious about this and can do it, this fan is about what you need: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7F883

I am shooting for a 2.25 ft^2 test section (1.5 feet on a side).

I found a 10 bladed tube axial fan. I am going to run those calcs to see how many horses that'll require.

Leright is asking pretty much the same thing over in the Engineering forums. Are you two working together?

You need to look at a BAF. I just like the company for their name. They're not applicable here.

http://www.bigassfans.com/

Sorry, misread that test section size... still, 33,000cfm is an awful lot. You can't even use a normal house receptacle to power it. It's about 40 amps at 240V - probably the same as an electric dryer or medium-sized water heater.

good_ken

I am currently designing a wind tunnel that will need to 50m/s (about 164 ft/s) and was wondering if you would be willing to share some design details?

Specifically I am looking for contraction cone area ratio and length diffuser length guide lines. Also I was wondering what you used for your flow analysis?

I would like to have a 2' test section and keep it below 15' long. I have access to 240W outlet for motor powering.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1. What is the purpose of a low speed wind tunnel?

A low speed wind tunnel is used to study the aerodynamics of objects at low speeds, typically less than 100 miles per hour. It allows scientists to test and analyze how air flows around different shapes and structures, providing valuable data for various industries such as aerospace engineering, automotive design, and sports equipment development.

2. What are the important factors to consider when selecting a fan for a low speed wind tunnel?

The fan is a crucial component of a low speed wind tunnel as it generates the air flow. When selecting a fan, the most important factors to consider are the air flow rate, pressure, and power requirements. The fan should be able to produce a consistent and uniform air flow, with enough power to overcome any resistance in the wind tunnel. Additionally, the fan should also be reliable, durable, and have low noise levels.

3. How do I determine the size of the motor needed for a low speed wind tunnel?

The size of the motor needed for a low speed wind tunnel depends on the size and type of fan being used, as well as the desired air flow rate and pressure. Generally, a larger fan will require a larger motor. It is important to ensure that the motor has enough power and torque to drive the fan at the required speed, while also considering factors such as efficiency and heat dissipation.

4. Can I use a standard off-the-shelf fan for a low speed wind tunnel?

While it is possible to use a standard off-the-shelf fan for a low speed wind tunnel, it is not recommended. The fan used in a wind tunnel needs to be specifically designed and calibrated for the specific air flow and pressure requirements of the tunnel. A standard fan may not be able to produce the necessary air flow or pressure, and may not have the durability and reliability needed for continuous use in a wind tunnel.

5. How can I ensure accuracy and consistency in my low speed wind tunnel experiments?

To ensure accuracy and consistency in wind tunnel experiments, it is important to properly calibrate and maintain the fan and motor. The fan speed and air flow should be regularly checked and adjusted to ensure they are within the desired range. Additionally, using a data acquisition system can help monitor and record the parameters of the wind tunnel, providing valuable data for analysis and comparison between experiments.